Why is it so hurtful to be shunned? Why object to it?

by stuckinarut2 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A Ha
    A Ha

Everyone is saying that it's because we're social animals. This is not just a saying, and we can't overstate the importance of that. When talking about a topic like this, or morality, I usually say 'humans are intensely social animals.' Our identity in the group is immensely important to who we are and our overall well-being.

This is not something we can fix by saying "Get over it," or "Snap out of it."

Social isolation can be deadly

So many in the JW community suffer through this, and it's why we say it's far worse than just the WTS being meanies. It's abuse.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Because, despite telling yourself that they are under mind control and "only following the rules", you can't help feeling that their affection for you should have been meaningful enough to override it.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Here are my thoughts;

Strong families are the building blocks of strong communities, and strong communities are the building blocks of strong nations.

IMO, I believe that one's identity, self worth and esteem is dependant on a tight family unit. Break up the family and everyone in that family suffers.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

In prisons the solitary confinement is harsh punishment.

How silly we were to believe that a group of people with no knowledge of us or our families and children, should be the authority we obey even to death. It is most definitely mind control and mob mentality.

• Giordano
    Giordano

To fully understand the JW religion one need's to understand it's intolerance. Above all there is unquestioned obedience and marching in step.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great comments! Thanks to all .

Yes, we have the choice as to how much power the society (or the manipulated members of it) have over us.

As has been said by other posters over the years: "the best revenge is to live a happy and successful life"

The only power people have over us, is that which we allow. Don't play by their rules.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

What get me about shunning and my None JW family, my ex- and her husband shows up

at MY JW family members gathering and on vacation she and her husband travail to visit

MY JW family members.We have been divorce over 25 years and I have no idea who my

nephews and nieces are. My sister told me it makes her ill (who never was a JW) when my

JW side of the family have a gathering and my ex and her husband is there.

It was a ugly divorce and I believe the ex is enjoying it. She rarely visit her own family members, none

are JW's...It bugs the hell out of me.....

• Dagney
    Dagney

Our logical/rational mind courageously says "screw them" to the loved ones that shun us. And it is true, they do not deserve our love and loyalty when they cannot give the same.

But...as it has been mentioned, we have feelings and we all want to be liked/loved...not at any cost of course, but we do. We are human. It's inhuman to cut off affection for the reasons the WT gives.

• zeb
    zeb

James; Find out where your nieces and nephews live and go visit bearing gifts. If they are old enough tell them why. that,"I have missed not knowing you and that has changed."

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

zeb: My JW family members are like the God of the OT....

I just saw my daughter after 15 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit