I miss this from A$$€mb£i€$

by punkofnice 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

"I can't believe it's not Chocolate"

The mint filling was the one true bar.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Incredible chocolate bars at a$$emblies$$$ ??

For the life of me,,,,,I just can't remember any such chocolate bars. I remember though the submarines, frozen chocolate puddings, danishes, chips, fruit bags, frozen orange juices, even hamburgers a few times. Even the ''food tickets'' that were replaced by the 'donation $ystem' around 1993 - 94. Until the food $ystem went good - bye around 1995.

But I just can't recall any such chocolate bars.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Beth, Punky is in the U.K., as am I. So food available to us was not the same as you got, and vice-versa no doubt.

In 1965 IIRC, at Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh, for an "International Assembly" they cooked fresh doughnuts every morning, us lads knew a sister who was cooking 'em, and used to pick up a good few Doughnuts that were still red hot ! (The sister cooking 'em was NOT hot, and married).

We travelled up there from Kent on a Special train, hired by the Org, all J.W's, us lads had a bet as to how many different young sisters we could snog on the return journey !

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Phizzy---i was at that Murrayfield as well. In the sense that i went on a coach with the cong--lots of lads. Camped in hired tents at a recreation ground. Only went to the assembly to chat girls and go out drinking. Dont think we sat for a single talk. Lads that age had no interest in the religion--just the social life.

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

Hey,

I was there to, in ‘65….

All I remember was freezing cold tents, and some trains used to stop behind the stands.

Someone said the drivers were listening.. ??!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

PhiZZY....Thanks for clarifying this. That explains why I can't remember chocolate bars. I guess the same foods weren't available in USA, Canada as compared to Europe😄

• cofty
    cofty

I used to work on food distribution at Murrayfield. Choc bars were outstanding. The doughnut making room was up a long flight of stairs next to the cake room. One time I slipped off a step with a full try of cream cakes and dropped them all over the stairs.

The smell of hot doughnuts still takes me back.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

As a young man, I enjoyed meeting new sisters.

As a married fading adult, I enjoyed helping my wife out of the Borg by getting a nicer Hotel off the "list", and whisking the Mrs away at the end of the lunch break back to the hotel and sightseeing in San Francisco, lol.

Everyone gets sleepy in the afternoons, and we were never missed by the local congregation. The wife had a great time and learned to not miss afternoon Convention programs, smelly ladies' bathrooms, and bad food.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Small World ! Me and about five other guys from our Congo. were camping on that same Rec. ground as Stan! because it doesn't get dark fully at night that time of year in Bonnie Scotland, we used to go out for a few beers etc then we would play football until about 3 in the morning, stagger noisily back to our tents, then get rudely awakened by nearby Bros getting up about 7am !

It was up those stairs we went Cofty ! I didn't witness the incident you had with the cakes, I would have laughed no end, and probably you would then have thumped me, so probably a good thing !

• cofty
    cofty

You could have helped us eat the smashed cakes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit