What is Truth?

by Sea Breeze 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Ravi Zacharias just passed away the other day. This is his defense on Jesus being the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N77D4dUgP4

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well, what is Truth ? Truth can only be established by Facts and Evidence that stand the most rigorous scrutiny by real experts in the field under discussion.

Everything we think we know about Jesus is Fiction.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    What makes you think that everything we think we know about Jesus is false?
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

I just pulled a copy of the blue "Truth" book from my bookshelf that I got signed from the District Assembly when it was released at our Pautucket Rhode Island assembly. It was a happifying event.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Truth is just a word, it has varying definitions depending on context.

Truth can be an eyewitness testimony they believe is true. That doesn't mean it is factual. Eyewitnesses are notoriously fallible and memories can morph over time.

Truth can be a scientific theory. It is the best explanation we have for certain events but it is possible to invalidate by presenting a better explanation.

Truth can be a mathematical axiom. Something that is true regardless of interpretation. It is very likely that other species or other intelligent life will have come to the same axioms such as the speed of light in a vacuum, the age of the observable Universe, the Planck constants and other absolutes.

Truth can be a religious statement. It's just so because a religious leader says it's so. It is the weakest form of facts and evidence.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Anon Mous:

Truth is just a word, it has varying definitions depending on context.

I’m curious, do you believe your statement above is true in all contexts?

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting answer by Zacharias.

Origin - meaning - morality - destiny.

Christianity fails on origin (Jesus should have known that we were exalted apes not fallen supermen

It fails on meaning - our venture is not to praise a capricious deity; that is dehumanising. We make our own meaning through relationships with other imperfect humans.

It fails on morality for three important reasons - Firstly vicarious punishment is morally repugnant. Secondly 'god's word' prescribes actions and attitudes that are abhorrent. Thirdly, the primary task of a christian parent is to convince their little child that they are a fallen, hell-bound sinner who is unworthy of life and in need of redemption. That is abuse.

Fourthly it fails on destiny. Our human lives are not a mere testing ground for eternity. Our deaths are not transitions - they are the full-stop on our existence. Christianity, with its pursuit of utopia, cheapens and debases human endeavor and provides nothing but platitudes in the face of suffering.

Finally christianity fails where it meets reality. 'Natural evil' proves conclusively that the god of christian theism does not, and cannot, exist. All attempts to square that circle results in internal contradictions - a lack of coherence as Zacharias puts it.

Zacharias is in the same place as Hitchens. Only one of them was prepared for that outcome.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/did-jesus-exist/

Sea breeze

Please have a read of this article .

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

I didn't even click on the link above, but I think a lot of atheists may have the existence of Jesus wrong.

Prominent historians agree that Jesus existed.

However, when historians focus on the life of Jesus, they discover a Jesus completely different from the one portrayed by popular culture or by religious texts.

• cofty
    cofty
    I agree TGND. JC probably existed but the Jesus of history and the Jesus of the gospels are not the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit