Have you ever considered trying ancestry.com?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• redpeanuts45
    redpeanuts45

Hi everyone!

Upping this topic that I stumbled uppon my lonnnnng research.

I was considering taking a DNA Test to know more about myself. I have quite a "large" origin background (specially from Europe, my dad parents immigrated from Italy to US), and my dad married my mom (whose great parents are british) so yeah, its a bit of a mess! .

The thing is, IM LOST !!! They are so many DNA Testing services now that i dont know what would be the best for me.

What you guys think? I tried to read some reviews here and there (toptenreviews, wirecutter, and even some less known comparison website such as https://www.hot5.com/dna/) but the thing is.... what they all have in common is that im left even more lost after reading all these!! too much useless infos !!!

I will probably end up doing nothing cause of it... so if you guys can recommand one that could fit my profile :D im more than happy to take it!

Thanks a lot! Have all a great day.

• blondie
    blondie

How does it compare to the other vendors of similar products? Not all offer the same. Thanks.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya

I took the ancestry DNA test and 6 months later, they arrested my dad, the golden state killer... 😂

Kidding aside, I find it intriguing how this information is used to pursue fugitives, and crack open cold cases. A bit more disconcerting is what else can, and eventually may be done with your DNA information.

• cofty
    cofty

The real value of the website is genealogy research. The DNA ancestry test is bullshit.

• em1913
    em1913

I was a member several years ago when I needed access to some data for a research project, and I ended up tracking down quite a bit on my own family besides. Turns out my 6X-great grandmother was hung for witchcraft in Salem in 1692. Three cheers for That Old Time Religon.

At the time I was a member, close to 20 years ago, Ancestry was about the only place you could find a lot of the information offered. It was worth the price then, but I don't know if it would be now.

My mother signed up for one of those DNA deals, and it turns out we're part Yakut. Siberia's lovely country I hear.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, Min, I have used Ancestry for personal research into my tribe of Neanderthal troglodytes AND for research into the lives of various Watch Tower clowns. I'm 132% Neanderthal, y'know!

I like Ancestry, but it hasn't always given me answers as easily as the folks featured on the US TV show "Who Do You Think You Are?" get their answers. It also is not an -ahem!- inexpensive service.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If your family is a traveling circus of DNA - mine is ancient royalty* - then one of the DNA services might be really helpful in laying to rest some old family lies.

...just sayin'.

*We're from Atlantis - Atlantis City, NJ, to be precise.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

NewYork44M asked, "Those that did the test, how has this changed your life?

I have done 23andMe. I'm the kind who want to know if I have "genetic risks," so I followed that wherever it led. Nothing I didn't already know, no horrifying surprises. I got weary of the seemingly unending stream of questionaires, so I eventually withdrew. I also received messages from "4th cousins" that I was suspicious of. These experiences tend to temper interest.

So, bottom line, no change at all.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

NewYork44M asked, "Those that did the test, how has this changed your life?

It has certainly changed mine and my wife is very happy.

I now don't have to be reminded to put down the toilet seat, put out the trash and not to make gas in bed while under the blankets.

On a more serious note, I thought I was mainly Western European. When the test came back I found out I was only about 50% European, but 25% Asian and 25% Central African.

That explains the urge I often have to drink a good Belgium Ale while eating fried chicken with chopsticks.

Rub a Dub

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

I have it on my list to do Ancestry and then 23 and me. (I also want to send in my dogs sliva to see what they say.....just for fun).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit