Demon Posessed Rock Bands I couldn’t listen to

by hoser 43 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

This was always a sore subject for growing up as a Witness. I remember meetings and Watchtower studies on the topic of music. The Witnesses answering during this part outed themselves as ROMs.

ROM was a term I came up with when I was a practicing Witness. Righteous Over Much. These Witnesses would share stories, naming specific bands or musical artists they no longer listen to because a song or album violated Bible principles or was demonic in nature. I could see the elders handling these parts trying their best to hide their cringing expressions as in the end it was all a "conscience matter".

Then there were those crazy ROMs who proclaimed all "worldly" secular music was wrong and professed they only listened to Kingdom Melodies. I wanted to reply with - "Listening to Kingdom Melodies outside of sanctioned theocratic events is disrespectful holy songs. It would be considered extra-theocratic activity. Like all extra-theocratic activity, it will lead to apostasy." The best response to a crazy statement is an even more crazy statement.

"You still believe in the moon landing?"

"Pfft! You still believe in the moon?"

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks was said to be a witch, or into Wicca, or some such)

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am sure Iron Butterfly was banned as well.

Here's an account of how their most famous song's title was different then planned.

Though it was not recorded until their second album, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" was written during Iron Butterfly's early days. According to drummer Ron Bushy, organist/vocalist Doug Ingle wrote the song one evening while drinking an entire gallon of Red Mountain wine. When the inebriated Ingle then played the song for Bushy, who wrote down the lyrics for him, he was slurring his words so badly that what was supposed to be "in the Garden of Eden" was interpreted by Bushy as "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".[9][10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I gave up classic rock to join JW's at about 23 years old. Loved, Zep, Floyd, AC DC, Eagles, Talking Heads, etc. etc.

I went back to it. My self-induced theme song for my life is "Back in Black" by AC DC- as a tribute to my old, revived rock n roller personality. Forget the hearse because I never die(d).

I go to concerts from old rockers before they cease, including AC DC, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Ozzy, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Deep Purple, and more.

I never saw Led Zeppelin, but have seen Jon Bonham's cover band several times. Never saw Pink Floyd but saw cover bands Brit Floyd and Australian Pink Floyd.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

My parents where relaxed on this front. I was allowed to listen to any rock music.

I see someone mention smashing pumpkins. They have a song that literally starts " Disarm you with a smile" how can you link that to satan!

Actually i just had a memory pop back to my mind (this site does that alot to me) i remember sitting to learn " the devil went down to georgia" on the fiddle as a young publisher!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

thinking heavy metal bands are tools of the devil to spread the occult is about as daft as Muslims thinking there are going to be black eyed virgins in heaven waiting for them!

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Maimi sound machine because Gloria Estephan was rumored to hate the witnesses(all made up JW fake news)

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Kingdom Songs are about as inspiring as a paper bag (well, some of the new ones actually sound kinda nice), I'm not surprised Jehovah's Witnesses went after the competition.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Queen - Because of Bohemiam Rhapsody.

You know "beelzebub..."

• Prester John
    Prester John

Chris De Burgh was supposedly demonized for a few years back in the 80s - but like John Cleese he got better.

What about that infamous concert anecdote that was applied to nearly every band from Eurythmics to ELO-

"We can't play any more songs cos there are JWs in the audience."

You've gotta laugh...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit