EXJW's in Mensa?

by Luther bertrand 29 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    As for the ex-JW aspect, I never mentioned my flirtation with Mensa to anyone other than family, but I've been told several times that I'm "too smart for [my] own good." Whatever that means. I think it was just a way to avoid answering my questions that challenged the way they were told to think.

Yeah, when being intelligent is viewed as a negative, someone really needs to start reevaluating things. After I quit the cult my father-in-law came over to talk about my reasons. I was fairly open about many of the flaws that lead to my awakening. He called me "computer brained" and told me that he's known several JWs that he put in the category of being "computer brained" and all but one had left. Apparently my problem is I just need to learn how to turn it off.

• mrmagic
    mrmagic
    I qualify for Mensa and have joined a few online high IQ societies. If you don't mind reading some books and knowing how to take tests, then you and anyone else can join Mensa. As for putting that on your resume, yea that's a tricky one. Some prospective employers will have their preconceived biases towards anyone openly above average intelligence, while others view it as a plus.
  • Listener
    Listener
    In JW land being too smart is not good. We were told that was the problem with scientists and they made up the idea of evolution so that everyone would think they were so clever.
  • blondie
    blondie
    I took the Mensa when I was a jw in my 20's. I was surprised what my IQ was in my school records when I went to college. But in the end being willing to put the time, effort, into it is what gets you the end. I have several in my graduating class that we very smart, but used drugs and destroyed that beautiful mind/brain.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Mensa accepts people in the top 2% of standard intelligence test. In a normal distrubution, with a standard deviation of 15, you would have to score more than 2 standard deviations (score 130) above the mean in order to qualify since only 95% of scores are represented within 2 standard deviations of the mean and that would leave 2.5% on the right end tale. So, I'm more than 2 standard deviations above the mean, but not quite there. :(

It's kind of hard to even comment on this thread without sounding like an as which I think I kind of did. (I posted what literally went through my mind while considering the OP. What a nerd.) But, I would be willing to bet that there would be a greater percentage of of EXJW Mensa members than JW Mensa members.

That said, my earliest complaints about the religion were that something just didn't make sense. I knew there was something wrong, but I didn't know much about logical fallacies as a teenager. I left at age 19, but didn't know TTATT until years later as the internet began blossoming. When I had the intellectual tools, I could finally put it all together.

The religion really just doesn't make sense. It also takes some personal honesty to admit that, which is another issue altogether.

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand

Thank you all for your posts "under the radar" I agree and have never put it on my resume. Really Mensa is just a social club for people who have like interests. Great Teacher, your assessments not only sound possible that are more likely probable. I had to secretly go to school and hide my books. I didn't get baptized until I was in my late teens because the brothers who studied with me said that I asked too many questions or that I was complicating things. Maybe they were right because one of my undergraduate majors was Philosophy.... lol

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Fortunately, I could read widely as a child and was encouraged to do well in high school. That support suddenly stopped when I wanted to go to college, though. It was bewildering and hurtful.

I went to college as an adult, but haven't finished my master's degree, yet. It's been difficult to do while childrearing, and is much more expensive than it would have been 20 years ago.

I'm still pretty resentful.

• Dissonant15
    Dissonant15
    My IQ in junior high was 147. I didn't join Mensa, but I am a member of Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would guess my intelligence is slightly above average

Surveys show that 85% if people think they are above average.

Doc

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

When I went back to school in my late 30's I was asked to take a test to score my IQ. I think it was in the 130's. I personally never understood what your IQ had in relation to your intelligence. As was stated that Mensa is more like a social club, I never knew! I thought it was a place where the intelligent got together and plotted world domination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit