EXJW's in Mensa?

by Luther bertrand 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    Any EXJW's or Faders out there in Mensa? Any online groups for this niche?
  • juandefiero
    juandefiero
    I qualify. I just don't see the point in being a member. I would rather spend the $70 a year on a nice steak dinner.
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand

juadefiero, I am just curious of the experiences of those with higher IQ's have different experiences than others as JW's. Do we have different challenges and concerns? For me the most stifling thing was having to hide my books. and being restricted on the types of conversations that I could have as a result of my "worldly" or "Apostate" sounding subjects. hmmmmmm waffles or steak.... I think you are on to something lol.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    For me the most stifling thing was having to hide my books. and being restricted on the types of conversations that I could have as a result of my "worldly" or "Apostate" sounding subjects

Yep. Being of even slightly above average intelligence leaves you very lonely in the JW world.

I looked in to mensa once. I didn't try to qualify, but I have a hunch I would. I couldn't see what benefit I would get from joining, other than perhaps being able to put it on a resume.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Ex Jw's in mensa? Good question don't know...... so I put Mensa in the search engine at the top of this page and sure enough a variety of posts poped up where the name was used......happy hunting Luther and welcome!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm sure there are some exJWs who are members of Mensa. I knew an elder that was a member. Very bright, but he didn't see the WT religion for what it is.

I would guess my intelligence is slightly above average but I doubt that I'm clever enough to get into Mensa. I agree with juandefiero - what's the point?

My advice would be for you to pursue any academic interests you may have and think of a career, if you've not already done so.

All the best

LUHE

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    Is that an oxymoron: JW Mensa Member?😵
  • Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free
    My brother is a member and elder . SMH
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    I joined Mensa just to test it out... its mostly for social reasons. I have a fun time while I participated and met interesting people.
  • under the radar
    under the radar

Many years ago, when I was trying to get my first airline job, I took the test and joined Mensa because I thought it would differentiate my application and perhaps get me an interview. I'm no brainiac. I've just read books on various topics over the years and apparently have a fairly good memory and know how to take tests well. I only went to two or three meetings before I decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Most of the members in my area really were the nerdy absent-minded professor type and I found it hard to follow some of their conversations.

Pretty soon thereafter, a career counselor warned me that some airlines might view being in Mensa as a negative. That's because the stereotypical Mensa member often finds it hard to accept the monotony and routine that is the reality of most airline flying. They tend to develop personal shortcuts and develop "better ways" of doing things on their own. That may be fine in academia or research, but it can be disastrous in aviation. Since airline pilots are pretty much interchangeable with any other company pilot assigned the same seat in the same type aircraft, it is essential that each one follows the same procedure the same way every time. Each pilot must know what to expect from any other pilot in a given situation. Extremely highly intelligent people tend to have trouble adapting to the highly structured, thoroughly regimented and procedure-oriented aspects of the job and the long stretches of monotony that airline flying involves.

Anyway, I dropped any mention of Mensa in my airline applications and eventually got hired. I've been flying commercially now for over 30 years.

As for the ex-JW aspect, I never mentioned my flirtation with Mensa to anyone other than family, but I've been told several times that I'm "too smart for [my] own good." Whatever that means. I think it was just a way to avoid answering my questions that challenged the way they were told to think. I came to realize that I couldn't in good conscience teach others things I didn't believe myself, so I just quit, pretty much cold-turkey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit