What have you learn being on this site?

by asp59 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• asp59
    asp59

I have learn a LOT about the religion and congregations. When I was active visiting meetings, i was there for the spiritual food. I actually thought everyone else was there for same reason ;-) I have learn there's a great variation among JWs. Lot's go to meetings just to hang around friends. Some are obligated by family or just to keep appearance. Some seem too believe 100% what GB writes. Some 50%, others just 10%. Some want appointments in congregations to control others. Some cause wife always nagging about moving forward. Others got privileges even if they didn't really want them. Some to get married. I do understand more why some JWs got irritated when you spoke about biblical matters. They probably didn't even believe in God. And there's lots more of variations then what I wrote about here. It's been a learning experience this site. One thing for sure, i don't know if I would have become a jw if internet was around when I started studying. I like to do research.

• skin
    skin

I learnt that I wasn't the only JW that knew that WT have rewritten their own history to make themselves look good, to help cover failed teachings while at the same time promoting their updated version of their history.

I also learnt to use the Bible to test every WT teaching without the fear that God was going to punish me, although JWs don't like it when you reveal a fact that is outside their mindset.

• hoser
    hoser

I found out my nagging suspicions were correct. I received validation by finding out my experiences are not unique. Jehovah’s Witness culture is the same as the old worlds. They are just a little better virtue signallers. There is a caste system in the congregation based on physical appearance, wealth, connections to big wigs in the organization. Although they claim to be different from the world, they are much the same.

• carla
    carla

I found out as a ubm (unbelieving mate) that this cult is way worse than I ever could have imagined.

I also found out that people are generous with their knowledge and really do want to help if they can.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The biggest is reinforcement that the truth isnt true. It was always in the background

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

CARLA:

Ain’t it the truth! You are so right about the religion being ‘way worse than you ever could have imagined’. It’s like the proverbial iceberg where you don’t see the three-quarters hidden underneath!

It’s not just that you as the wife see the quirkiness of the JW religion in your husband, he Never would have revealed any of the bad that he knows about!..JWs are taught never to reveal anything negative about the religion to anybody - especially a relative that they are trying to ‘impress’ or bring into the religion.

Sadly, the only way you would learn all these things is if you got involved personally or if honest people on the forum (who learned the hard way) tell our stories about what really happens there!

Thank heaven for the internet.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    LongHairGal

Sadly, the only way you would learn all these things is if you got involved personally

Ain't that the truth!

Some people say that there's better ways of learning than personal experience.

Well I'm sure there's "Less Painful" ways of learning than personal experience.

But the hard fact is that getting involved personally, though more painful, is actually the True way of getting all the facts----first hand.

There's a Big difference between an exjw saying the Watchtower is a Bad religion.

vs

An exjw husband who says he was duped into letting his young wife die because he was told by the Watchtower that God is displeased if he allows a blood transfusion to save his wife.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Carla and LongHairGal

As a UBM ( soon to be ex) myself I learned that same thing about the true depths of cult level that damaging JWs are. Iceberg is a good analogy.

I tried for 10 years to make it work with my wannabe JW husband. As soon as he reignited his interest in the JW when our daughter was about 5, the problems began and got worse. The deception, abusive behavior, lies, arrogance, more irresponsibility, stonewalling.... and out right cruelty began with him feeling the need to "put on a new personality".

It is an insidious real estate, high control group. Good people are trapped in the with their minds, or their families. Also narcissistic, abusive, power hungry people find refuge there.

It was a key factor in the destruction of my marriage.

This site has helped me greatly for many years to learn, and vent, and understand.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

What have I learned from being on this site.

Until this site, I had no idea of Raymond Franz or his books.

When I read Crisis of Conscience followed up by In Search of Christina Freedom, that led to me obtaining quite a stack of 'apostate' books, LOL.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That most of the intelligent JW’s are now ex-JW’s and getting together here vs at the Kingdumb Hall.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit