Galaxies and 49000 years

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Jesus simply quotes from the story, he is not saying it is a literal or not literal story. "You have read" ☺️

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I can see the problem for JW Org in accepting Evolution by Natural Selection as what it is, firmly established Truth. But, I can also think of ways they can spin the Adam and Eve story, I will not outline them here ! I do not want to help them along in their nonsense ! ( The Bible Chronology may seem insurmountable, but that is included in my way of dealing with the thing.)

The fact that they are so 19th Century about this, works against them to a huge degree. My own son when about 12 years old, he had been born in of course, thought to himself that what David Attenborough was telling him on the T.V was Truth, and that the JW thing was not. He never became a JW, and was the first mover in getting us to Wake up ! What an Achilles Heel this is for JW's ! There own kids educating them !

Long may the JW Org stick with their 19th Century nonsense of the Bible being literal truth, and teaching that the Bible stories should be taken literally . It only takes a word or two from someone you love and trust, who knows reality, to start you on the Road To Freedom.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ JoenB75...

I’ve long found it ironic that the WTS uses Jesus’ reference to the Eden narrative as “proof” of its historicity...

...when Jesus taught almost exclusively using parables and allegories.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Phizzy...

On a related note, I actually liked the way director Darren Aronofski portrayed the Adam and Eve story in an overtly fantasy-esque manner in Noah.

(Really, the whole movie was portrayed that way, but the Creation narrative particularly so.)

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

QuVidiot, good point. Creationists of all sorts do that as though he could not have quoted a symbolic or prophetic story

• cofty
    cofty

They have painted themselves into a corner with their legalistic interpretation of the ransom doctrine - no Adam = no ransom. So they are stuck defending the indefensible.

We did not 'fall' from perfection we evolved from apes.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

The WTS was made and built up by reconfirming and propagating human ignorance drawn out of the writings in the bible, which were drawn out by ancient people who were also ignorant of the world in which we live.

But in doing so these men built a semblance of power and control unto themselves, not to mention the supporting money which kept them going.

Proliferating fear and ignorance is what keeps this organization alive and its no wonder why they are endeavored in wanting to protect what they have .

• btlc
    btlc

Just to notice, even in 1976 book "Good News" (pg. 60, 61) says: "[...] This would indicate that this ‘rest day’ would be of seven thousand years’ duration. (Genesis 1:28; Revelation 20:4) It is reasonable to conclude that each of the six preceding “days” of creation would occupy similar periods of time [...]".

But, in crazy seventies, they also believed that "heart of man is the powerhouse of one’s desires, emotions and affections" and that "moral and spiritual state" of man can be "examinated" in one's kidneys...

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

The society taught this nonsense (7000 day creation) at the same time teaching organ transplants were a disfellowshipping offence due to a) your body "ate" the organ transplanted to make a new one thus cannibalism and b) you absorbed the personality of the donor.

In other words, batshit crazy stuff.

• Mr.Finkelstein
    Mr.Finkelstein

As its noted, fear, ignorance and superstition makes and creates a religious cult.

The JWS is just one of many.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit