Galaxies and 49000 years

by HowTheBibleWasCreated 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

Now today this is of course a non-issue. The WT has embraced the big bang/old earth etc just not evolution. In fact the Creator book has some decent info.

However I have a good copy of the 1958 Paradise book. It states every day of genesis was 7000 years long.

Now using this info was fine from russel up to about 1930s.

See a guy named Hubble....

Let's get to the issue. Pre- 1940 or so one could twist the age of the earth and universe to be 49000 years old.But once Andromada was found to be over 2 million lights years away and then other glaxies were discovered.. and also that it was expanding!

Well the Paradise book in 1958 must have been a joke! This galaxy itself is over 100000 light years across! (Which they stated in the Creation book in 1985)

See if I was a learned man in 1958 and say this paradise book i would throw it in the garbage.

The society hasn't addressed yet why supposivly this bluddering fool Jeblooper is ACCELERATING the expansion of the universe by dark enegergy but given their track record this sould make it into magazines in 2030s. (Though I doubt the WT will be around much then.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

With all the Mountain of Evidence supporting Evolution by Natural Selection, I think the Borg will have to follow slightly more sensible Christian Sects who acknowledge the truth of it, but incorporate that in to their Faith.

As to the Creation of the Universe they will get away with maintaining that there was a Creator for as long as they exist, I guess.

The point they miss is this, there is simply NO connection with such a Creator, if there was one, and there god Jehovah, NONE.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Have to say that :

1) WTS abandoned the 7000 YEAR Creative day belief decades ago . Now it is admitted they don't know how long they were.

2) A creative day refers to the preparing of the Earth not the creation of the Universe. Tney say the stars and planets existed unfathomable time beforehand.

• waton
    waton

It is more relevant to follow how science's disciplines bring on new theories, laws, formulas to understand the daily new discoveries, than to

worry about how the bible was created, or the bible story books of the wt BtS. inc.

My take on accelerated expansion? There is a lot of more uncreated energy out there outside the universe (as there was before it) and expanding into that realm, it is no surprise that there is increasingly more energy inside, fuelling the acceleration of expansion.

As we know now: distancing is good for you.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Russell taught the 7000 year creative day belief, maybe it made sense in the 1800's. Most likely he didn't invent it himself, but picked it up from the literature of the time period.

• waton
    waton

The whole mess started with Gen. 1:1, because it falsely states that the Earth was created in the beginning.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Phizzy ...

The Org can never budge on evolution, no matter what.

Despite what they may say, it’s not about evidence, or its (supposedly) inherently atheistic nature, or even basic scientific plausibility...

...it’s because the underlying foundation that WT cosmology is built on has effectively become completely dependent on the Genesis creation narrative being literal history.

If evolution is true, then Adam and Eve in Eden didn’t actually happen...

...and virtually all the theological assumptions anchored on the premise that it did effectively go out the window.

IMO, one could make a pretty strong argument that without WT-style creationism, there’d be no JW religion.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ waton..,

Fun fact...

...according to Jewish scholars, The original Old Testament writers didn’t necessarily view Genesis as literal history.

That became more of a Christian thing.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

but--seriously--does anyone believe the adam and eve story ?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    .and virtually all the theological assumptions anchored on the premise that it did effectively go out the window.

Just to labour Vidiot's point a bit...

Here's the unassailable problem for the WT. It's bible chronology.

The WT absolutely did not make up the bible date of C 4026 BC for the "creation" of Adam, you can trace it in scripture. So, no matter how they fudge the length of creative days, they can't fudge bible chronology. They are stuck with it. Imagine if they tried, the whole house of cards collapses. It follows then that they have to maintain the creation of Adam myth and stick their chin out on that however much they give ground else where.

I think that this is the biggest foundational weakness in the whole Jenga pile. If you disprove that date then everything collapses. Jesus refers to a literal Adam, the ransom depends on a literal Adam, the web of dates and predictions depends on infallible bible chronology.

Then hot dang, we go and prove man was around to make cave paintings far too early, we find evidence of human existence way back when. The bible story collapses and WT doctrine cannot morph into an Armageddon threat free, date free religion. Without Adam, it just collapses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit