Why are they announcing 2019 conventions so early?

by Richard_I 37 Replies latest jw friends

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

@ smiddy3, at this time I understand Qld and WA are not. As time moves on I'll keep you posted.

Oh, apparently all the carry on of gift giving will be on the menu as will the 'party in the kh'

jtg.

p.s. As I heard, the same guy that organised the last one has got the guernsey again.

• zeb
    zeb

Darknight 'parties and talent shows'...?

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

The last time there were international conventions like this, all of the "normal" ones were held simultaneously in the UK and had video feeds from London. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens. It means conventions are held at different dates to normal, so advance notice means nobody can use the "I've already booked my holiday then" excuse.

SF

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

My wife was discouraged when they announced the Memorial date for the next three years. She said, "Well, I guess Armageddon is coming in the next three years." I am sure that she was not the only JDubby to think that.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

@ Zeb.

Yes we had to coordinate “entertainment” for these deligates the last time and they chose me to take the lead in this.

It was a serious disaster as many were actually fighting to be a part of the show. A family forced themselves to be a part and they wanted to do a sing along. They had the worst voices imaginable and the guitarist that was playing along had almost 0 talent.

Sadly my hands were tied as the new elder basically made me use them and then basically took over oversight of the program.

At least the meal was good.

• steve2
    steve2

STOP PRESS: End of this system delayed until at least 2020.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Zeb: Darknight 'parties and talent shows'...?

Darkknight: Yes we had to coordinate “entertainment” for these delegates the last time and they chose me to take the lead in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QxDGtAsKFM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFddXZiPZgA

• SadElder
    SadElder

They are preparing the dubs for the money pitch that comes with every international convention. Donate money so we can bring the missionaries home for a bit of vacation. They'll put in a special box for donations if things go as in the past.

• JWTom
    JWTom

It always makes me laugh when the ICs are announced because there is usually an article or CO talk or online video about keeping your life simple, you don't need alot of money to live, don't do extravagant things, etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile a large batch of ICs is announced and any anyone going to one outside their home country is going to spend $5,000-$10,000 US if the trip is of any distance/duration. Baffling that the organization is messaging keep your eye simply and live frugally while also promoting activity where you have to be at least modestly affluent to attend.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

@Pete

That footloose dance would have been 1000x better than what we ended up with lol.

The people at my hall were such stick-in-the-muds and the elders wouldn’t approve anything remotely entertaining.

Mark Gormley had a better voice than the people that sang at our party.

https://youtu.be/87nkJquHnAU

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit