So my husband got a letter

by Lost his mind 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost his mind
    Lost his mind

So, he received a letter that I am wondering if it is one of those open letters that are out there to denote time given. It starts out with the name of the person sending it, then goes into the spiel...Do you know our God's name? I know I didn't. When I was shown what it is, I kind of got upset. I asked myself why didn't my reverend ever tell us that? I was 24 at the time and had been to many different churches. Not once was any mention made of gods name. Jesus has a name. His disciples all have names. I have a name. Why are they keeping it a secret?

many more paragraphs than I choose to write come along afterwards. So is this a "chain letter" that they send out? Included is a brochure about what is gods name. This letter is typed but signed in the persons handwriting.

they are trying to get him back into the fold. I just want to know if this is a standardized letter that they send out. Sorry if I am making zero sense at all.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Not a chain letter, probably they are getting time by writing to homes they weren't able to reach door to door. More than likely this brother sends out two or three of those a day to get his time started.

• Lost his mind
    Lost his mind

Sorry, should have stated it was a woman's name. But thank you for the reply.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Point out that Jehovah is not God's name.

No one knows how to pronounce YHWH. For some reason God forgot to tell everyone how to say it. Jehovah is name made up by a Catholic monk. Read more here: Is God's Name Jehovah?

It's important to remember this. No one knows how to say God's name. No one.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

And WT acknowledges that, this is from bh p 195, from wol:

First, many claim that the name should not be used because the original way to pronounce it is unknown today. Ancient Hebrew was written without vowels. Therefore, no one today can say for sure exactly how people of Bible times pronounced YHWH. However, should this prevent us from using God’s name? In Bible times, the name Jesus may have been pronounced Yeshua or possibly Yehoshua—no one can say for certain. Yet, people the world over today use different forms of the name Jesus, pronouncing it in the way that is common in their language. They do not hesitate to use the name just because they do not know its first-century pronunciation. Similarly, if you were to travel to a foreign land, you might well find that your own name sounds quite different in another tongue. Hence, uncertainty about the ancient pronunciation of God’s name is no reason for not using it.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Tell your husband gods name is EL, have him Wikipedia the name Yahweh it will explain it pretty will . Then have him look up the name of the Canaanite God El , he'll see that this God is the same as the God of the Old Testament with some Baal worship thrown in.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

First, many claim that the name should not be used because the original way to pronounce it is unknown today. Ancient Hebrew was written without vowels. Therefore, no one today can say for sure exactly how people of Bible times pronounced YHWH. However, should this prevent us from using God’s name? In Bible times, the name Jesus may have been pronounced Yeshua or possibly Yehoshua—no one can say for certain. Yet, people the world over today use different forms of the name Jesus, pronouncing it in the way that is common in their language. They do not hesitate to use the name just because they do not know its first-century pronunciation. Similarly, if you were to travel to a foreign land, you might well find that your own name sounds quite different in another tongue. Hence, uncertainty about the ancient pronunciation of God’s name is no reason for not using it.

The problem here is twofold. The correct name to call God and its use in the Christian Greek Scriptures (or NT).

With regards the first point, the correct name to call God, if it doesn't matter what name to call God then surely God isn't fussed about the name that he is called?

Which means LORD is perfectly acceptable.

The WT argument seems to be that LORD doesn't sound very personal. But no one knows how to pronounce YWHW because God hasn't told anyone. So surely that means God isn't fussed about the name that he is called? This argument gets very circular!

The real problem is the Christian Greek Scriptures (or NT). YHWH never occurs in it. There is an excellent book by Professor Jason BeDuhn called 'Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament'. In it he's clearly a big fan of the Watchtower's translation of the Bible. But...he devotes the entire appendix to destroying the WT's addition of Jehovah to the Christian Greek Scriptures. Which is what the vast majority of Bible scholars state. It's a fiction. They have changed the Bible to add this.

So YHWH only occurs in the Hebrew scriptures and no one actually knows how to pronounce it - so there is no reason not to use LORD.

YHWH never occurs in the the Christian Greek Scriptures - it's an addition by the WT in their translation.

• Luo bou to
    Luo bou to

a rose by any other name would still smell the same A parrot can be taught to say Jehovah but does he kn ow what it means do you know what the tet.... yhwh tells about the nature of this being we call God

• Nevuela
    Nevuela

You said you should have stated that "it" was a woman's name, but you don't state what "it" is. Who had a woman's name? God?

• smiddy
    smiddy

And the fact that the name Jehovah should not be used in the Christian Greek Scriptures is demonstrated by the WTB&TS themselves.

The kingdom Interlinear of The Christian Greek Scriptures a word for word translation of the Greek by the Watchtower clearly shows the Tetragrammaton YHWH /JHVH is not their.

It`s an addition they have made to the Bible inserting Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit