Beards vs. Shunning announcements

by slimboyfat 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

'And for the future, if changes to birthdays and Christmas becomes a reality, you can guarantee, their immediate and wholehearted adoption into the JW lifestyle, too ... purely on the basis that "we can"'

I'm intrigued by the thought of a JW appropriate Christmas celebration. Will the baubles on the Christmas tree 🎄 have the JW.org logo on them? 🤔

• Elena
    Elena

Birthday yes Christmas no. Not for a while anyway.

Thing is there have been a few DFed for celebrating these and other things but now they won’t be. They could celebrate every year and worst could happen is they get sanctioned for 90 days. It’s unlikely to come to even that.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I know that so many here think that its crazy (even for us) to suggest things like the adoption of Christmas, Easter and Birthdays could be a thing, but if the 10 year plan is real, then the Governing Body doesn't really care about stumbling a few brothers, if there is a net benefit in overall attendance.

Image you are a worldly person (with no previous Witness knowledge of history) and you are church shopping in the near future. All the previous negatives in becoming a Witness (like having to go out in the service, giving up family-based celebrations and the fear of disfellowshipping) no longer exist.

If the Governing Body get it right and makes the Organization into a social based religion, they might be able to ward off disaster, by getting people wanting to come in.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I have to be honest, beards may look good.....but really who wants to kiss someone with a beard? It's scratchy as hell😬

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Despite the seismic changes to their expectations for the future , re the resurrection and survival - the things that have really got them talking are the changes in dress and grooming. The othe stuff goes by with hardly a word .

What does that show about them?

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    .but really who wants to kiss someone with a beard? It's scratchy as hell

it depends where it is.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Despite the seismic changes to their expectations for the future , re the resurrection and survival - the things that have really got them talking are the changes in dress and grooming. The other stuff goes by with hardly a word .
    What does that show about them?

That they aren't in it for anything other than the social club. I was going to say that it might show how shallow JW's are but perhaps that's a bit unkind.

Perhaps.

• Dagney
    Dagney
    the things that have really got them talking are the changes in dress and grooming. The othe stuff goes by with hardly a word .

Exactly the intention IMHO. Give them something shiny and distract them from everything else going on. And really, in the big picture of what this corporation is and does, the grooming is small beans for them if they can keep the flock engaged. The bone might keep most loyal through the cognitive dissonance that I "think" some must be feeling at some point.

It is a social community, and it works for most. Now it is just easier. My brother is an elder and has struggled off an on with his communication with me through the years. He's older now and told me yesterday a serious illness has returned. I have been dreading the circus that surrounded our mother's JW memorial when that time comes. Just awful. Nobody is DF, but it was strained all the time. Now it will be less so, which I welcome.

My hatred for the corporation has not lessened one bit. Loosening these rules makes them no less a cult as they pull the strings on the R & F and they comply.

• jehovaxx
    jehovaxx
    That they aren't in it for anything other than the social club.

Yes that the only reason I’m still Physically in. I know for certain the GB are charlatans. But I don’t know for certain that the Bible is wrong, so I still keep the hope in the Bible.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Yes, InDoubtBigTime, ExBethelitePIMA, you keep telling us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit