Ban on Independent Meetings

by lssjr 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Around 1980/1 the WTS clamped down on private pre-study of the publications, due part to the Great Apostasy at Bethel, many high level jws were asked to leave Bethel. Then the WTS tried to say "small groups" for wedding receptions and that went over like a lead balloon. Then the WTS tried to say how many was a small group. It was very disheartening, families could study together, mom, dad and kid (or more), but not say 4 single people not related to each other (with chaperone). The feeling of belonging left totally and never came back.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

Blondie, I remember this time (the 1980 to 81 period) quite clearly, it was relatively common for a local Elder to arrange a Watchtower pre-study group for the 'young ones'. We'd prepare for the coming meeting and it would give us the encouragement to answer up. Afterwards we'd have cake, biscuits and a cup Tea or coffee, which was a very nice and wholesome way to associate and grow together. Similarly, other Elders would arrange for the occasional congregation picnic down at a park, to a kick ball around and have a BBQ. These were nice family times, where those without a family in the 'Truth' (like spiritual orphans and those in divided homes) could enjoy some needed downtime.

However, it was all ripped away literally overnight, with the sudden and unexplained cancellation of these arrangements. And it was only many years latter, did I learn why ... but I can tell you that it was the beginning of the end of the Brotherhood, as being a Jehovah's Witness now became nothing but work.

Yeh, good job ... Governing Body.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Yeh, good job ... Governing Body. " It does seem that this particular iteration of the G,B is particularly inept at handling anything at all, worse than ever, and previous G.B's were terrible at it !

Every move they make now has the effect of doing more damage to the Org.

Long may they continue to blunder on in this manner !

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I wonder if this is why they stopped the book study meetings. Private meeting at private places with small groups. I remember when I was little those would start at 7:30 on a school day and often go on for 2-3 hours if you had a ‘real’ book study group. Funnily enough, the entire book study group became apostate as a result and soon after they cancelled them all and put them in the Kingdom Halls, then they eliminated them a few years later.

• LeeMerk
    LeeMerk

I remember families getting together to pre study the Watchtower also. Congregation picnics also. The soul was gradually sucked out of everything.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Anony Mous - I wonder if this is why they stopped the book study meetings…”

No, that was because too many incidents of child abuse were taking place in the bookstudy environment, and their charity-status-slash-tax-exemption ran the risk of coming under review as an indirect result.

To head it off before that could happen, they simply eliminated the environment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit