Ban on Independent Meetings

by lssjr 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

When I was growing up it was common, and thought well of, for some to gather together to talk about scriptural things they were interested in. My dad often cited such a group meeting for bringing him in. I think they went through parts of one of the old prophecy books from the '60's, honestly I forget the name of it, but he found it fascinating, I guess.

I've not heard of people doing that for a long time.

• dozy
    dozy

The Question Box ( in 2007 ) was the final straw for me as well. I virtually stomped out of the meeting and was out by the end of the year.

The Society has always clamped down on this sort of thing , especially since the late 70's purge. The Covid / Zoom thing is just another angle to it really that they are keen to suppress.

Back in the late 1990's , one of the elders in our congregation started a meeting in his home once a week ( he had a large open plan conservatory plus dining area ) on a Monday evening to group prep study the weeks Watchtower ( at the same time - puke alert - that the "Bethel family" had their weekly Watchtower prep study as well ) and he would invite some of the elderly ones , single middle aged sisters etc - the usual neglected members of the congregation there. Some would bring buffet stuff like sausage rolls and cakes and they all had tea & coffee etc , so it was as much a social gathering as anything else , albeit with a "spiritual" basis.

It carried on for a few months - absolutely nothing "apostate" about it and it was really appreciated by those who attended ( I think latterly it grew to about 20 or so ) but one of the more uber self righteous elders complained to the CO and he immediately put a stop to it at his visit. This all really shook the elder up and he resigned his position later ( though as far as I know , he is still a JW. )

• dozy
    dozy

When I was growing up it was common, and thought well of, for some to gather together to talk about scriptural things they were interested in. My dad often cited such a group meeting for bringing him in. I think they went through parts of one of the old prophecy books from the '60's, honestly I forget the name of it, but he found it fascinating, I guess.

I've not heard of people doing that for a long time.

I remember that going on as well. But nowadays - the average joe publisher is so dumbed down , he would think a Caleb & Sophia cartoon to be "deep spiritual food"!

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

LOL, this is so funny on so many levels.

When the pandemic started, my wife and so other

brain washed dubs started a wed evening book study.

I told her that they couldn't do it and it would be stopped.

she said why? I said the BORG doesn't like people to get

together and study without.

She scoffed and said NO!

I said okayyyyyyy. Well it did stop after a while and now i know why.

Will this dent the armor? Nah, she is too brainwashed to realize this and admit

an apostate was right.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

I've been lurking here for a while, but this thread forced me to add a comment. I think Drearyweather's comment was spot on. This is about the elders- not what publishers do. Any one can call a friend or group of friends and discuss anything they want.

But structured, scheduled, "meetings" with a prepared agenda are what's been banned. Group Overseers in my congregation are holding a weekly meeting for their service group, replete with talks, prayers and singing. It is exactly another FOG opportunity, that no one needs.

Field service groups include all manner of pre-arranged talks, videos experiences, demonstrations, etc. The instructions remain the same. 5-7 minutes. get off zoom and go about your business.

I'm happy to see this letter. I argued with my BoE elders about it over the course of the last year, until i had enough and stepped down.

• skin
    skin
    luckynedpepper

Welcome to this board, your comments above are spot on. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

It's going to get to the point where JWs separating into 'Break-out Rooms' when in a zoom meeting are going to feel a bit nervous wondering whether they are breaking WT rules.

Yah...I've also noticed a number of Elders in our congregation putting in 'overtime' by forming meet-ups with singles and elderly-ones on off-meeting nights.

I'm really okay with this March 2021 announcement letter about banning 'Private Meetings'. I'm looking forward hopefully this month when this letter is read to the congregation. It sure as hell will wake up a number of the servant body as well as a good number rank and file. Just another example of WT leadership shooting itself in the foot!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Gone bad

Exactly. We have one young upcoming hotshot who is paying special attention to " spiritual widows". Holding so called family studies. Maybe he is looking for a mother?? Or something else. He is one of the ones who never seem to notice girls.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

I've seen a variation on the March S-147. The one posted may not be what was provided in the US branch territory.

• skin
    skin

We need another reminder from the faithful slave about these private get togethers. Or maybe they are becoming acceptable again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit