cell phones for kids?

by franklin J 15 Replies latest social family

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    My sister got my 11 year old neice a pre-paid cell phone so she could call her when she needed picked up from practice and sporting events.

Uh, I forgot to mention my son's is prepaid. Duh...I'm not stupid!!!

• Simon
    Simon

Beware of getting a very flash modern phone ... it can make young kids the target of muggers. It's also wise to teach them not to walk along while on the phone which canbe dangerous (this goes for adults too)

I'm surprised no one has made a small, designed-for-kids phone that could be setup to only phone home or certain numbers and also have some sort of tracker system built in.

• sens
    sens

My nephew has one..has had for a year or more now...he is 10

• rocketman
    rocketman

Since I spoil my kid rotten, I got her a cell phone. She gets anything she asks for. Good parenting, huh?

The only beef I have had with her thus far is her choice of ringtones. She downloaded a Destiny's Child ringtone. I told her I prefer Elton John.

On the other hand, I am secretly in love with Beyonce' Knowles.....

• rocketman
    rocketman

Being serious for a minute, I got her one and she is on our family plan. It's been invaluable for keeping in touch with her when she is out and about.

Well, that counts as one serious minute on my serious minutes plan. I get 250 serious minutes per month.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Our 7 year old has been asking for one for almost a year now. He insists he "needs" one just in case he wants to call grandma. He doesn't like my answer too much though! It's the same one he gets every time he complains that he "needs" his own TV in his room. NO!

When he is older and more independent, then I think a prepaid one will be a necessity for safety, but for now, he can't even keep track of his toys, never mind a cell phone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit