Why I get out of bed every morning.

by compound complex 31 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Because someone needs my help.

As a JW -- you can relate -- I truly believed that what everyone really needed was the kingdom hope and its eventual reality. You know, the hope that does not lead to disappointment. Of course, if anyone needed practical help with a task or getting through some difficulty, most of us realized that was part of being a helpful and caring friend (or family member).

At nearly seventy years of age -- no, I didn't enter the promised kingdom in my healthful and vibrant youth -- my getting out of bed isn't so bad. It's mustering strength for work that's the challenge. Fortunately, the required jobs I continue to do aren't too strenuous. Walking a dog, feeding a Guinea pig, picking up a client's mail, etc. are all small but needed services. My clients really do appreciate me and I appreciate their trust in me.

What I really wanted to get to was how we support one another, here on the forum and outside, one-on-one, with flesh-and-blood human beings. I appreciated the replies to my two recent threads on suicide and had to tell you that our words do matter.

A friend, on the verge of ending it all due to monumental familial dysfunction, told me that she has reconsidered that permanent solution to a temporary (?!?!?!?!?) problem because of a conversation we had had. Like me, she is responsible for the well-being of others, some of whom show a gross lack of concern for her needs and feelings. In any event, we both concluded that we have to hang in there and do our jobs. It was so gratifying for her to tell me that she had received the needed wherewithal to carry on.

Blessings and peace to all of you, my dear friends.

• Alive!
    Alive!

I love this. ❤️

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Wonderful news CoCo.

All WT crap aside, a few simple words of encouragement, support and appreciation can be all that's needed to regain some sense of purpose, balance and worth. You do this everyday CoCO I'm sure of it, so thank you sir.

Appreciation; it costs nothing folks but it can pull someone back from the brink.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I am grateful for your replies, Alive! and sparrowdown. They mean so much.

Appreciation; it costs nothing folks but it can pull someone back from the brink. -- sparrowdown

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    What I really wanted to get to was how we support one another, here on the forum and outside, one-on-one, with flesh-and-blood human beings. I appreciated the replies to my two recent threads on suicide and had to tell you that our words do matter.

Thank you for sharing this. Your post, especially the part that I quoted, made me reflect on the things and the ton I use in some of my posts. Sometimes I'm not supportive of others at all. I speak my truth, but sometimes I tend to forget that there are in fact people out there who are suicidal and have struggles with life in general, JW experience or not.

Thanks for sharing this.

• compound complex
    compound complex

You're welcome, scratchme1010, and thank you for that reminder.

All of us need to remember that, like a meal, it's not just the content but also the presentation.

Have a great day.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I'm not surprised that you were able to bring someone back from thoughts of suicide CoCo. You have such a gentle, caring manner, I always enjoy your posts.

Like you I have only quite recently realised that what we say does matter to people and a casual conversation to us can be something powerful that a person really needed and remembers for a long time. As long as we are authentic and our thoughts are genuinely meant.

There is such a famous person and celebrity culture that as an ordinary person we can feel we don't matter. We matter, to the people we love and to the people we know, they need us. Good thread, thank you.

• LV101
    LV101

I, too, love this, and appreciate your shares, Coco.

Hangin' in there and dealing with life's challenges and bumps is always good -- we literally learn to experience 'this too shall pass' old saying. I used to hear the word "endure" and want to ignore the logical -- feel it was negative -- if only! Life is very challenging and brutal both mentally and physically yet holding our breath and enduring for the next sunset, sound of the ocean or time with an old friend makes life perfect again.

No promised kingdom for anyone but life on the outside of the cult is a beautiful life.

• compound complex
    compound complex

What lovely posts, Xanthippe and LV101! How wonderful it was to wake up to your beautiful and encouraging comments.

I'm up and about, having a bracing cuppa joe and preparing for the onslaught -- feeding a cat and a Guinea pig and mucking out a house left rather untidy by guests of the owner.

Then, this evening, I will receive a hands-on tutorial for the care and feeding of five cats and one dog. Oh, dinner for me is thrown in with the wonderful couple who are owned by the six-critter menagerie. Of course, I am paid for my services.

All in a day's work. Yes, even on Sunday some of us work!!!

Blessings, mes amies!

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Yes CoCo it would be good, just now, to have back our youthful vigour.

But I always thought, as to others? Well I know the people I loved and respected most were, to a man and women, older people.

What would we *do* without them? They are, with young children, our very best we have and , without whom the world would be a cold and joyless place. In your case I have a proverb I will always think of *you * CoCo whenever I hear it:

Gray hair is a crown of glory. It is attained by a life of righteousness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit