Circuit Assembly Report

by Hapgood 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Hapgood
    Hapgood

Coming out of the lurking mode to give you all a report on the 2 day CA that I attended this past weekend. I always enjoy other reports that have been posted so I thought I would share my observations. I attend with my JW hubby to keep him company so he doesn't have to go alone, that's the only reason that I go.

I didn't take any notes, so I'm doing this by memory. I was never a note taker while I was a JW, so if all of a sudden I start to take notes, it might look a little suspicious.

I thought the accounts report was very interesting (it's amazing what xjw's find interesting). From the last "Special Day" Assembly held last spring there was a $2,000 surplus, that was ALL sent to the Society (I couldn't believe it). The Elders voted on the Saturday (of this Assembly) to send another $500 to the Society (didn't say what that was for) and another $200 to help pay for the CO's apartment. When the accounts report was read yesterday (Sunday), it was stated that for two days the cost of this Assembly was $10,000, as of yesterday they were $5,000 in the hole. When I heard that I almost said out loud "you've got to be kidding", I looked around no one seemed to notice that anything was out of the ordinary with this amount of money. That Assembly Hall must have been payed for long ago, it was built around 1976. I would love to have a break-down as to exactly why it costs $10,000 to have a 2 day Assembly.

Eight were baptized, it looked liked two were adults.

Well the program was mostly the same old stuff. In a nut shell, the end is near, JW's are great, JW's have the market cornered on manners and proper behavior, everyone else that is not a JW is "Pond Scum", do more, and what ever your doing is not enough, they are really beating the poor sheep. Basically if you don't pioneer, your dead meat (I feel sorry for the average "Joe" publisher just trying to do his or her best). Apparently our Circuit has a ratio of 1 in every 4 are pioneers (that has to include Aux pioneers too, I would guess) There was the usual parade of people on the stage with "titles" , how they are able to pioneer despite all odds (they used that example from the mags of the sister in the iron lung). One sister in particular make me go ummm. She was elderly, had all kinds of health problems, pioneered for 20 plus years, had an unbelieving mate that treated her like dirt. She did not drive, so she would walk everywhere, including walking into town to the Kingdom Hall (I guess no one could come pick her up). She related how if her husband saw her walking he would just drive by her (I thought that was so sad). She kept it from her unbelieving husband that she pioneered, everyone thought that was funny how she kept this information from him. I thought why would she even stay with such a scum bag, she had to hide something that was very important to her, anyway I thought it was sad.

The DO gave the public address "In Whose Name Should the Nations Hope?" He went on and on about how different governments, groups and religions put their hope into "wordly" sources to solve the problems that man kind is now facing, blah blah blah. My ears perked up when he mentioned the United Nations, he stated in a disgusting tone of voice that "even the Religions of the world are placing their hope in the UN to solve their problems". He went on to state that some religions had been a part of the UN summit for peace a few years ago, he was very condescending when he described the different faiths that were represented from around the world and how they were dressed (some in their native dress). He brought out how disgusting it was for any Religion to have anything to do with the UN and promoting peace. At this point I just about lost it, it was all I could do to stay in my seat and not scream "HYPOCRITE", I felt like I was actually going to lose my lunch. Maybe if someone else hears this talk, they can give a more detailed account, I really lost it after that. He went on and on about the UN, I was actually surprised especially after the cover up by the Watchtower in being part of the UN as a NGO. By this time I was fuming, wanted to leave but didn't want to make a scene. I couldn't listen anymore, sorry.

The special needs talk. Apparently some of the young ones spending too much time on recreation. Some were getting together and playing competitive football between Kingdom Halls (that brother some sure gets into trouble). Well, the CO was proud to say he put a stop to that, he went on to say that another Circuit had the same problem but it was basketball. I guess the young ones aren't aloud to have any fun. Basically he said any competitive sport is bad. Then he went on to say that there was a problem in our circuit with inappropriate movies, books, video games, and Internet and that for all of us to remember that the media is controlled by SATAN (OH NO) Yeah we have all heard this before, nothing new. I just hope my hubby doesn't get all spiritual and won't go to the latest Matrix movie with me.

I'm just glad that I'm not a part of this anymore. After an Assembly like this, I would leave feeling pretty low. They are really beating the poor Brother's and Sister's, I really feel sorry for them.

Hapgood

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Yes, I too have wondered how an assembly that is held in a fully paid for assembly hall, with no food service, could possibly have $10,000 in expenses. I suppose the bethel speakers have transportation expenses - maybe $1000 or so. As for rent on the assembly hall, well you have already paid for it once, why pay again?

I suspect that the society levies an expected contribution, based on attendance.

The material sure sucks. I think I may have already heard that material - 50 or 100 times. And, how dare those young people run around playing games when the end is so near.

• blondie
    blondie

Hapgood, and they wonder why young people are leaving.

Blondie

• sens
    sens
    "get out of high school, you dont even have to finish, just get out of the world and come be a pioneer with me!"

Over my dead body...U will so keep @ school...

• core
    core
    I thought the accounts report was very interesting (it's amazing what xjw's find interesting). From the last "Special Day" Assembly held last spring there was a $2,000 surplus, that was ALL sent to the Society (I couldn't believe it). The Elders voted on the Saturday (of this Assembly) to send another $500 to the Society (didn't say what that was for) and another $200 to help pay for the CO's apartment. When the accounts report was read yesterday (Sunday), it was stated that for two days the cost of this Assembly was $10,000, as of yesterday they were $5,000 in the hole. When I heard that I almost said out loud "you've got to be kidding", I looked around no one seemed to notice that anything was out of the ordinary with this amount of money. That Assembly Hall must have been payed for long ago, it was built around 1976. I would love to have a break-down as to exactly why it costs $10,000 to have a 2 day Assembly.

Not sure how they can vote to spend money they dont have - scriptural principle here is "to count the cost" before etc. Actually this is a form of taxation - we send the money to the society - we then have a deficit - guess who pays? real people should be allowed to spend their own money as they wish without this form of regular enforced donations. If I wanted to donate to the society I was always free to do so - if some idiot forces me to by spending (as a resolution to the society) the surplus over costs and then moves the whole affair into a deficit I think that Trust law would hold the elders responsible for a fiduciary failure or malfeasance.

• Enishi
    Enishi

The only reason I like visiting an assembly any more is just for admiring the buiding itself and meeting people.

The building I go to is incredibly extravagent, I wonder just how the Society affords it...

• integ
    integ

Hapgood,

He brought out how disgusting it was for any Religion to have anything to do with the UN and promoting peace.

Did he REALLY say this, or is it just the gist you got, or your interpretation of, his talk?.

Thanks,

Integ.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    My ears perked up when he mentioned the United Nations, he stated in a disgusting tone of voice that "even the Religions of the world are placing their hope in the UN to solve their problems".

I couldn't imagine sitting through that now. It's funny how the JWs inform people about the "library card" only when they ask about it. Leave as many in the dark as possible.

I would love to have a break-down as to exactly why it costs $10,000 to have a 2 day Assembly.

I'd like to know this too. We have an assembly hall here that transforms into 3 Kingdom Halls via moving walls. I wish I could remember how much they asked for at the Assemblies. In reality, the costs should already be covered by the 3 congregations. How can the same space cost more to use when there's more people in it? The toilets must be continually flushing. Even then, wouldn't they get the bill at the end of the month?

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

lol For the nine or so years I attended I never ever not once contributed. Why should I pay to have my time wasted. Even tho I was an EW I hated going and forcing the poor kids to and sit still for what seemed to be an eternity just to have people from other states to come tell us what we heard last week at the meeting. Jeez

• logansrun
    logansrun

Look, I'm telling you guys -- it's a cult and you all should get out of it.

hehe,

Bradley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit