Vomit alert!

by Tashawaa 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I was lurking at Beliefnet "Learn about Jehovah's Witnesses"... here's a response to a question I'm sure you'll all enjoy!

"3. what social systems do the JW have? Like support systems."Our elders are well trained to handle all kinds of situations that may come up, including helping those who may have an addiction to be freed from it, marriage and family counselling, suicide counselling, and so forth. They are also able to help us locate secular sources of help for things they are not qualified to handle.

I warnnned you

• Sassy
    Sassy

as if that were true. Every point there I can see where they have been no help. There is no support system. Not really.

• sens
    sens
    Our elders are well trained to handle all kinds of situations that may come up, including helping those who may have an addiction to be freed from it, marriage and family counselling, suicide counselling, and so forth. They are also able to help us locate secular sources of help for things they are not qualified to handle.

what utter crap...lmao...as if....yer right...

shame you could post a link to a thread shamus started..for them to see the truth :

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/61707/1.ashx

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

"able to help us locate secular sources of help for things they are not qualified to handle. "

I LOVE this part. Yah. I had one elder counsel my then ex-husband, not to see a psych. regarding his depression and obsessive/compulsion disorder. Oh right, I forgot... they ALWAYS inform the family that they should report cases of child abuse to the proper authorities!!!

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I could open a new thread on the JW debate thread.

I've already been "warned" about posting on the Learn About JW's - as its a JW forum only.

Hmmm, yes, I'm going over there to do that now. I'll find out if they have a "problem" with links.

• heathen
    heathen

I'm blowing chunks here . lmao. It's obvious the question would cover such things as homeless shelters or daycare . The answer to the question is nothing . They have no social services at all .

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

Darn Brainwash! Sad part is people avoid legitimate help in place of that rubbish placebo help... and the problem gets much bigger ...

'scuse me ... gone to hurl ...

ESTEE

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Our elders are well trained to handle all kinds of situations that may come up, including helping those who may have an addiction to be freed from it, marriage and family counselling, suicide counselling, and so forth. They are also able to help us locate secular sources of help for things they are not qualified to handle.

I've met a few elders that weren't bad, some were even nice, but a lot of them weren't qualified to kiss my left asscheek, let alone deal with the sort of problems described above. And for the most part, they discouraged people from going to secular sources for help. The encouragement was usually something like "do more - study - service - meetings, etc. That was the answer for everything. The title of this thread is appropriate - I damn near choked on it!

Walter

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I just wanted to say, for the record... while I definitely know of many individuals whom the elders have discouraged from seeking psychological help... in my case, they actually did recommend it to me. So not all elders are backward in that regard.

I still think that calling the elders "well-trained" is rather rich, however. How about requiring them to take one semester--just one semester--of psychology or counseling?

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

The elders DISCOURAGED my ex from going to marriage counseling. His mother explained that "most counselors only think the Bible is a good book, but we believe it is the absolute authority, blah, blah, blah, blah..." They also didn't do one freaking thing to try to help save our marriage. It's just as well.... somehow I don't know how the lawnmower repair guy, glass factory worker, elders could have helped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit