Whoa--Jessica Lynch Slams Rescue 'Lies'

by ashitaka 41 Replies latest social current

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-12920562,00.html

Pardon me if this has already been posted. I looked back five pages and didn't see a thread for this.

ash

• Simon
    Simon

I think it has been mentioned.

The funniest thing is that the pro-war neo-cons will probably still claim that the rescue was as described by the pentagon (people how many thousand miles away?) and not a hyped up publicity / propaganda stunt. It is almost a religious thing.

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

For all who are interested NBC has a movie on tonight about the capture and resue of Jessica Lynch. I wonder how accurate it will be.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    And she said it was "wrong" for the US government to use her as a "symbol" for the war.

Does anyone else think that's slightly ironic? I mean, would anyone be buying her book, or watching a movie about her, or interviewing her on network television, if she hadn't been made into a 'symbol'?

I'm not saying she shouldn't take advantage of it, since it's happened... but it seems a bit rich to complain about it.

• Simon
    Simon

I think anyone in her situation would probably do the same. If someone told me I'd get £'s for writing a book I'd write one!

The whole situation is funny ... next thing you know, she'll be attacked by the right for disagreeing with the Pentagon version of events.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I mentioned this in another post. Seems now that the Iraqi version of the rescue was closer to the truth. I have a lot of respect for Jessica to tell the truth because she must have got a lot of preasure to keep her mouth shut.

Will

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    The funniest thing is that the pro-war neo-cons will probably still claim that the rescue was as described by the pentagon

Maybe the anti-war neo-cons should look back and see where some pro-war neo-cons also questioned the veracity of the account as well as the disparity of attention being given to one, while ignoring others.

Your U.K. Telegraph seems to sum it up in today's edition that our love affair with Jessica is fatigued, if not over.

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/11/09/wirq109.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/11/09/ixnewstop.html

There may be no basis in my thought, but I wonder too how much the feminist movement is behind much of what is said as well as the exaggerated attention given her, if any at all?

http://www.newtotalitarians.com/JessicaLynchsArmy.html

• Simon
    Simon
    I mentioned this in another post. Seems now that the Iraqi version of the rescue was closer to the truth. I have a lot of respect for Jessica to tell the truth because she must have got a lot of preasure to keep her mouth shut.

Very true indeed, she definitely gets some kudos for that.

Maybe the anti-war neo-cons should look back and see where some pro-war neo-cons also questioned the veracity of the account as well as the disparity of attention being given to one, while ignoring others.

That would be interesting. I'll leave it to the reader to decide whether they want to see some past quotes and how likely this really is. I think the "the disparity of attention being given to one, while ignoring others" bit may be true but I'm dubious about the other.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    I think the "the disparity of attention being given to one, while ignoring others" bit may be true but I'm dubious about the other.

Would us Right Wing Conspiracists expect any less?

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I respect Jessica even more for her candor. Simon just because it was filmed and perhaps overdone doesn't mean it was staged. I would think that a woman who had been raped and severly injured required rescuing don't you Simon? Or should we have allowed diplomatic resources to handle the Jessica recovery? Those diplomatic resources have been so effective with Iraq haven't they?

Also the main contention from Jessica is that she feels used by the exaggerated accounts of her involvement with the capture and with the filming of her rescue. Feeling used wouldn't be unusual for a woman who had been raped even without the news reports.

Should I ever find myself a prisoner in an Iraqi hospital after being busted up and raped I would hope the US/British Armed forces feels it necessary to take extreme measures to get me back. They find a need to use 4 helicopters and a need to fire some rounds and to knock down a few doors to get to me? Well, go right ahead and have fun. I'll give them a huge thankyou when we're safe back behind enemy lines. Heck I might even treat them all to a Bacon McGriddle or a supreme taco when we get back home.

I haven't read that Jessica felt it unnecessary to be rescued by the way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit