Why does the society try to keep the R&F so busy?

by Flowerpetal 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I was thinking this morning on some things, and the story/series on HBO currently, CARNIVALE, is showing the not so nice side of humanity. WE ALL have our dark side. Everybody in this world has one, I believe.

So I came to the conclusion that might be one reason why the society tries keeps the R&F so busy doing "righteous things" and thinking "righteously", etc. Instead of openly admitting that because of human imperfection, we do have dark sides, and as long as we don't act on them we shouldn't worry so much, this part of humanity is absolutely ignored OR is blamed on Satan and the demons.

Do any of you have similar thoughts?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I used to believe the WTBTS had the brothers and sisters interests at heart by keeping the R&F busy - now I am not so sure. They are an end-time sect and have always kept the R&F is a state of eschatological expectancy. Hoever, by doing this, the brothers and sisters have become exhausted and slowed right down --not attending meetings as often, not doing as many hours in service etc. In the end it becomes self-defeating. The WTBTS has cried wolf once too often.

• minimus
    minimus

To try to maintain a "sense of urgency". But it has BACKFIRED and they know not what to do.

• oredigger
    oredigger

Its a classic manipulation technique, keep people busy they generally will become more compliant and less likely to question the ideology.

• franklin J
    franklin J

what else do they know how to do?

• Simon
    Simon

I think people are kept busy to stop them having time to think, develop their own (outside) interests and basically because the WTS wants to get as much out of their 'slave labor' as they can. Thye have a high churn rate and are not interested in people's long-term well-being, just get out of them what they can and then welcome in the next batch of recruits.

• Greenpalmtreestillmine
    Greenpalmtreestillmine

I agree with Franklin J. The Society is on automatic they don't know how not to preach and preach and keep busy for the end. Also I believe they feel that if the brothers keep busy doing things related to seeking the Kingdom they are safeguarded from the world.

Unfortunately, the brothers are not only safeguarded from the world they are also safeguarded from living!

Sabrina

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Because its the only way they can get the "CARROT".

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

I agree that keeping the R&F busy doesn't give one time to think...even those "dark" thoughts that we might have. Of course if every JW started having those kinds of thoughts, it would scare them and they would blame it on the demons rather than think these thoughts were actually coming from themselves.

I think great stories in books, TV series, and movies which show a bit of a person's dark side are open and honest; not holding anything back in portraying the human condition. It's part of who we are.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I tend to think that all the busywork is intended to occupy everyones attention, so that they cannot step back and see 'the BIG picture', i.e. social interaction or activity outside the WTBS. People might go to a museum, perhaps seeing bones or artifacts of ancestral humans. People might go to a live theatre, or see a foreign film and realize that there is uplifting and intellectually stimulating entertainment from many cultures. People might get a hobby, and even meet other people with the same hobby who (gasp) aren't JWs.

A lot of emphasis is placed on the idea, expressed either implicitly or explicitly, that 'There isn't anything worthwhile outside the organization'.

Primarily, I think WTBS hopes to keep everyone busy so they won't wander off and do something they might like better.

gaiagirl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit