What was the first computer you ever owned?

by Nosferatu 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I don't remember what the first one was named (was only able to let a submarine go from one corner to the other without getting bombed) but after a month, I bought my first real computer: An Apple Macintosh with lots of memory: 1 MB and an external hard disk with 30 MB. Wow....
    Stil have that one...

In the meantime several other Apples and at the moment I am working with an iMac (G3) Memory 768 MB and 40GB hard disk. + an external hard disk with 120 GB.
    The last one I have to use to backup all programs (including the system) and then I will try to use on my latest gaine: Apple Macintosh G4. (lost my original installation CD-roms)

• anglise
    anglise

We can laugh at them now but at the time they were good.

ZX80

ZX81

DRAGON 32

APPLE SOMETHING

Can't remember all the differant specs after that. All IBM compatibles.

Anglise

• mustang
    mustang

Data General Nova, a 16-bit Mini, 1978

Mustang

• bebu
    bebu

The one I'm using now. 4 years old, 366 mghz. 4 gigabytes. emachines. 15-inch monitor (5-years old). The longer I wait to replace it, the better the model and price... so, looks like this will not get replaced for a few years...

bebu

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Hmmm... well, back when I was interested in micro-computers, there weren't any readily available to buy... so I built one from a kit.

1976 - A SWTPC 6800 - which had a whopping 4k of RAM. I purchased Tom Pittman's Tiny BASIC for it - which ran in 2k RAM, and that left me 2k RAM for developing programs. (Note: SWTPC = Southwest Technical Products Corp.)

I would get home from work, turn it on, and start the Tiny BASIC loading from punch tape into the ASR-33 Teletype.

I would open my can of sardines, and eat supper, and then after 5 minutes, I would hear the familiar *ca-chug ca-chug* of the Teletype winding down.

I would then sit in front of it and program to my hearts' content.

I never got that thing up to using cassette tape, although I built the interface.

Later computers were...

VIC-20

C-64

B-128 (yes, 'B' - not 'C')

Amiga 1000

Amiga 500 (several of these)

Amiga 4000 - which I still own and it's in storage

I was waaaaay ahead of my time when it came to computers... and being a JW - I was handicapped... most everyone kinda looked strange at me when I started babbling... come to think of it... they STILL do!

Regards,

Jim TX

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

My first was a Commodore 64, primarily used to play text based adventure games such as Zork.

Then I purchased a used IBM PS2 386 from a friend who upgraded to an early Pentium machine. Next was a new AMD 300 Mhz from Computer Renaissance, which still serves well. Most recently I built my own 900 Mhz Celeron, because I wanted to experiment with alternate operating systems.

Currently running BeOS 5 v2.1 as the operating system, and it works quite well, much faster than Windows, and more stable.

gaiagirl

• Smyler
    Smyler

I had a PC JR. My parents brought it. I still have it in my room!

It was the first or second PC IBM made. It was made in '83. A whole 128 kb, no HD, it ran off 5 inch floppys, wireless keyboard and mouse, joystick, printer. It was great!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

My first one was a Mac 125 I think. Teensy tiny screen. I loved it though.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Sorry carn't spell commodore! See my post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit