Giving Away the Family Dog

by imallgrowedup 26 Replies latest jw friends

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Odrade,

I trained all four of my dogs from when they were a puppy. Of course, when I got the first three, the first day they were in my home, they didn't cower as though they had been beaten every day they were alive and pee just because I walked past them. You may believe whatever you want, but I will stand by the fact that I worked harder on this dog than I did the other three combined. Of course, next time I get a dog (and I WILL get another one), I'll be sure to rip up all my carpeting in case the next one decides to cut his teeth on it. In the meantime, if you would like to donate the money I need to pay for the desensitizing that may or may not work on this dog, I'll be happy to give you my mailing adress. I would ship the dog to you so he could benefit from your expertise, but I live with this dog and know that very little can be done for him - he was born with some kind of an emotional or mental problem. It is awfully presumptuous of you to assume I am the cause of this dog's problems. You are not here, you are not me, and you are wrong to assume that I am a poor pet owner that can't train a dog.

I started this thread for advice on how to talk with my son about this issue. If you have something constructive in this area to offer, I would love to hear it. However, I will no longer debate with you my suitability as a pet owner.

By the way, I forgive you for your rude rantings.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    In the meantime, if you would like to donate the money I need to pay for the desensitizing that may or may not work on this dog,

I really don't see how that means you have tried to train the dog. Send you money to PAY SOMEONE ELSE, to train your dog? And if there was a problem with the dog being hypersensitive, why have you waited 13 months to do something about it? It was clear to you the first day as you say, that the dog was overly submissive. THAT was the time to do something.

He was "born with" mental or emotional problems? Do you have a veterinary degree? or a training certification?

It's nice you want to help your son not be traumatized by giving away the dog, but it does not dismiss your responsibility.

I stand by my "rude rantings."

Odrade

• proudassmonkey
    proudassmonkey

i know i know i know.....

He is an only child, and considers this dog to be the "brother" he never had.

just make him a little brother..... whip one up and he'll be fine.....

ok sorry bad joke but seriously the reality of life is that sometimes things don't work out. and instead of sugar coating it for your son let him know this. let him feel this. you will have made him a better person for this experience. it will not kill him and you know what they say "that which does not kill makes you stronger."

• proudassmonkey
    proudassmonkey

wow i hadn't realized this had become such a heated debate or else i wouldn't have added my bad joke into the mix......... so let's all take a moment and back away and take very deep calm soothing breathes........

there isn't that better?

melissa........

• sens
    sens

I agree with odrade....but if you have found a home where you know the dog will be looked after thats cool...beats a shelter by far.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    seriously the reality of life is that sometimes things don't work out.

Well, Melissa, it IS a public forum. What you say here is very true. Sometimes things don't work out. My understanding (someone pm'ed me) is that growedup is raising a child with Aspergers. She also has a dog who needs special attention. My issue is not that the dog needs a new home, my issue is that growedup seems to be blaming the dog.

The dog is not to blame. If the training of this dog is either beyond your abilities, or takes more time than you are capable of giving, due to your other (very time-consuming) responsibilities... THESE are good reasons to give up the dog.

These are also things you can explain to your son. Tell him this dog has special needs. (He will understand that.) Tell him that just like he needs to go to a special teacher to help him with some things, your dog needs to go live with a special trainer because mommy doesn't know how to help him.

Odrade

• nilfun
    nilfun
    As I write this, I am bawling my eyes out just thinking about it - I loved that dog more than I have ever loved most people.

You post reminds me of the time when my younger sibling's pet got really sick and Mom took him to the vet --and came home empty-handed. There was a lot of crying until Mom said that the pet was at "the kitty farm", the place where all really old cats go to play in the catnip and enjoy their golden years. It was a long time 'til it was realized that the cat had actually been euthanized.

I guess Mom said that because she thought a fairytale would make her kids feel a lot better than the truth.

I'm sorry you have to make such a difficult decision, especially now that your boy has become attached to the doggie. Maybe you could have sent the puppy away sooner, but sometimes we humans hold on longer than we should out of hoping that things will change. I know I've been guilty of that.

Sorry I don't really have any helpful advice. Good luck.

• luna
    luna

Yeah, i'm w/ Nilfun...Don't hide it, or make up stories. My parents did that w/ various animals, or just outright lied to me. (case in point..."oh, the mama cat had kittens. We need to take the kittens to the shelter, but you can keep your mama cat" The next day, when I come home from school, yeah, they're all gone.)

When I was about 18, and wasn't living at home for a brief period, my cat that I'd had for about 6 years died. My parents did not tell me. I found out from a friend who asked me if I was going to replace my cat. "Why do I need to replace my cat??" Yeah, wasn't a pretty scene.

Just be honest. I think I have a lot of pent up hostility for the things my parents put me through w/ animals.

Luna

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Odrade,

I stand by my "rude rantings."

Whew! I was so afraid that we would never find any common ground to stand on! Thank you for your "growed up" admission. Now, let's see if this relationship can be salvagable. I would be very interested to hear about this concept of "desensitization." Your mentioning it is the first time I've ever heard about it. In fact, until you corrected me, I thought it was something you paid someone else to do. Even when I took my dog to the vet about the issues my dog is going through, she never mentioned it. She did, however, suggest the "doggy bootcamp" where the dog goes away for a couple of weeks, comes back "brand new", and then I go to reinforcement training once week for a specified amount of time, in order to reinforce the training at home. This is the $1k program I mentioned earlier. Who knows, perhaps this "desensitization" is part of that program. At any rate, she also told me that some dogs never grow out of the piddling problem my dog displays, and suggested that perhaps he is one of those dogs. Obviously my veterinarian knows more about dog behavior than I do, so when she said that, I took her word for it. I am guilty of believing her and not looking any further into it. There! Now I've made my "growed up" admission. Now, I would like to get past all the accusations, so I can learn more about "desensitizing". Perhaps by sharing this information, I wouldn't have to have the discussion I am dreading with my son after all, and I would have you to thank. I like stories with positive endings. Don't you?!

Proudasamonkey,

just make him a little brother..... whip one up and he'll be fine.....

Thanks for the levity. It was very much needed at the time, and I appreciate it. For what it is worth, this gal ain't whippin' up anymore rugrats, the one I already have keeps me very busy indeed. Thanks for the laugh, though. I needed it, and I don't want you to be sorry for saying it! Keep using that great charm of yours!

Sens,

but if you have found a home where you know the dog will be looked after thats cool...beats a shelter by far.

Despite all my dog's faults, I do love him. That is why I found a rescue organization to find him a home - because I knew that if I didn't, his chances of not being adopted out to someone who may have better success with him would steeply decline. I don't wish for the dog to go to a gas chamber - I wish for the dog to have a better environment than the one he is in now, because obviously I am not skilled with dogs with his particular needs, although the Lord above knows how hard I have tried. Thanks for the encouragement.

Odrade,

The dog is not to blame.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. But please thank my "angel" for me who gave you a bit more insight into other events going on in my life, because I believe they were trying to give you a perspective on some issues which could be contributing factors into my frustration with the dog. I think it helped, so I am serious when I ask you to please thank them for me. Because I have posted about my son's disorder on the board already, I don't mind that others know about it. Generally, I prefer to be the one that makes the information public in a particular thread, however; in this instance I believe you were trying to share the insight with others while at the same time offering me an olive branch. Thank you. I will accept it.

Nilfin,

You post reminds me of the time when my younger sibling's pet got really sick and Mom took him to the vet --and came home empty-handed. There was a lot of crying until Mom said that the pet was at "the kitty farm", the place where all really old cats go to play in the catnip and enjoy their golden years. It was a long time 'til it was realized that the cat had actually been euthanized.

How sad for your younger sibling. If they felt the way I did about "Kekao" (my chow chow whom I loved so very much), I can understand the tears. You know, one day I was on the AKC website and found a video clip of a chow that looks so much like Kekao did, that I downloaded it and I still watch it every so often. I really miss him a lot. He used to "hug" me by pressing his head up against me, and he would get excited and run around in a frenzy like a puppy until he started to slow down from his illness. He was dumber than a box of rocks, but he was so loving and had such a way of making me smile - not just on my face, but in my heart - that even now, I can feel the love between us. I will never forget him. But I digress. Anyway, I like the way your mother painted a positive picture for something that is otherwise so sad. I think that it is actually better for a younger child who doesn't really understand death to hear a more positive story like your mother's to help heal the wound until they are old enough to understand. Thanks for sharing your story!

I'm sorry you have to make such a difficult decision, especially now that your boy has become attached to the doggie. Maybe you could have sent the puppy away sooner, but sometimes we humans hold on longer than we should out of hoping that things will change. I know I've been guilty of that.

Thank you also for identifying with my humanity. Yes, I hoped the dog would grow out of it. He didn't. Maybe I could have done something differently before now that could have worked, but I can't go back and change the past. The "woulda coulda shoulda" game never gets anyone anywhere.

Sorry I don't really have any helpful advice.

Au contraire. Your advice - especially the story about your mother and your younger sibiling's cat was very inspiring. Thank you for responding.

SFJ,

Thanks for your insight. I appreciate that you took the time to offer up some suggestions.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

This reminds me at the time my Alaskan Malamute was about 3 months: every time there were no people around, he demolished something. (but there were always 2 other dogs in the room) At night I buckled him to a staircase and rearranged practical all the furniture to be sure he could'nt reach anything. I had to renew/recover the inside of my car 3 times. The third time this happened, I was in tears: I could'nt afford the money involved to repare everything a next time.
    So I told Viv that Leska had to "go".
    Then Viv brought the solution: every time when it was necessary to leave him alone, we muzzled him (in the car) he hated it. It took a year and by then he understood that he was not allowed to "eat" anything - or he did outgrow this habit. Most young dogs has the need to to chew on something.
    But his behaviour was something I was not used to.

Today Leska is 10 years old and he is just sweet and easy to go with.
    Look at his picture: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/60882/1.ashx (Just lucky that I am still in one piece....)

So maybe a muzzle is a solution for you too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit