"Nervous Breakdown"

by StinkyPantz 89 Replies latest watchtower medical

• wasasister
    wasasister

In my limited experience, when a person is feeling overwhelmed by events in their lives, when their emotions are running out of control - that is the most difficult time to make logical, rational decisions.

Do they pick up a phone and dial the local mental health help line? Probably not. That would be the logical thing to do.

If, however, a person had been closely affiliated with a discussion board and had formed close attachments to the participants, they might reach out for help there. That would be the emotional thing to do.

None of us, whatever degree of qualification we might carry, can counsel a person with mental health problems. This is simply not the right environment to give serious help.

We can, on the other hand, be supportive, non-judgemental, kind, and encouraging. We can also restrain ourselves from words which could cause further injury to a vulnerable and suffering individual.

I don't read much here, but doing a quick search on SP's posts, it's fairly obvious she feels (and whether her feelings are valid or not is something I can't say) she has been "marked" by the board administration. It is very easy to say: "Hey, it doesn't matter what some people think of you...get over it."

Not the best of advice in this situation, IMO.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Simon,

I have to agree that was way out of line and you need to apologise to Bridget. Truly if this board is about healing~ I don't see it. What I see is people being torn apart. You aren't helping by stirring the pot. I am really not happy with your pithiness right now. It is truly inconsiderate, almost bordering on egging someone or trying to trigger a behavior that can be harmful to Bridget. I hope when you do aplogise to her, you use her real name instead of a handle. Because it is apparent you are thinking you are talking to a screen rather than a feeling human being.

I have a sad feeling you meant every single word you have uttered in regards to Bridget. An it is out of spite.

I think your wife needs to take over for a while and you take a break because you have definately lost perspective and have become way out of line. You have allowed personal bias to flavor your posts and I am telling you it is ugly.

I don't care if you delete me ~ BUT I am going to tell you, sir YOU are out of line.

Bullying ... http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/39020/1.ashx

• Verbal bullying: threatening, taunting, teasing, starting rumors, hate speech.
  • Exclusion from activities: This does not mean that a child should not have the right to choose to play, or not to play, with another child; it means that children should not be allowed to systematically exclude others: "No one play with Mary;" "No one wants to play with him;" "Don't be her friend."
  • Bulling is like spouse abuse or sexual harassment in that it:

• Done by someone with more power or social support to someone with less power or social support
    • Often includes the abuser blaming the target for the abuse
    • Often it leads to the "target" blaming himor herself for the abuse

X.

• Sassy
    Sassy

Although as I stated above, I didn't necessarily agree with the statement, Simon's few words seem to have been blown out of proportion to mean a lot more than I think he intended.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Well, to be fair, there have been more than just "a few words". She was called a "drama queen" among other things, and to someone going through emotional problems, I imagine that could be devastating.

That being said, I still do not think Simon would be deliberately ugly to a person who is vulnerable, emotional, and not thinking clearly. Why would anybody be that harsh, especially a person who has expressed concern for suffering souls coming out of JW-Land?

• Xandria
    Xandria

Sns,

I have seen quite a few of Simon's attacks and pithiness in regards to certain posters. An there is a lot of personal bias there. He takes many things personally and attacks not pausing to think of the source. What is driving the person, what is inside. It is apparent he needs to take a break. You may not "see" it.. until you step back and research the whole perspective. I have, and watched thread after thread after thread, enough to say.. that is IT. It must stop or else you are defeating the purpose you say this board is about. Healing.

X.

Edited to add: PS~ stated about being a punching bag for someone. No you don't have to be a punching bag. But there is compassion. You can tell someone thier behavior is unacceptable with out ripping them apart. Too much of that has gone on. To the point of leaving many bloody and ragged instead of healing from what they came out of~ they are being re-victimized and torn apart here.

So to those who are hurting and need to find solace.. I would take the opportunity to speak to the Counselors available to you. Such as Lady Lee, Dr. Dave on Silent Lambs and if you still are searching for help: http://www.nbcc.org/cfind/ Find a counselor in your area for a bit of one on one, it will help you re-define yourself and find a path to where you need to go from here.

X.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I see that Bridget has been deleted.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

For clarification , Bridget has requested removal from the board.

Xandria/Wasa - you guys have my total admiration & respect and agreement with your words.

Hope you see that before this thread goes off to never never land.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Thank you sincerely, PG. I'm just speaking my mind as I always have.

I've been away from JWD for many reasons: my life has been busy; I'm getting over the ex-JW thing; I have not agreed with the way the moderation has been applied - unevenly in my own opinion. I should add that some of the moderators are personal friends of mine and I like them very much. Being someone's friend does not always mean you agree with everything they do.

Some time ago I read things that bothered me here and I thought, "well, Wasa, if it bugs you then don't read it anymore...." And that's just what I did. Yes, I still drop in sometimes and rarely post a reply.

I came back to ask a question about Christian Jews because I knew there were a number of well-informed people here who would help me gather information. I'm very grateful to Simon for providing a forum where such exchanges are possible.

It disturbs me to see people hurting, and hurting each other. I'm uncomfortable that I would not be allowed to ask "where's So-and-so?" if So-and-so happened to be persona non-grata. If I don't like the way the Forum is being run, then I can just leave as Simon has many times suggested.

As long as I am allowed to do so, I'll keep my "active" status and continue to drop in from time to time. That in no way implies that I am in complete agreement with everything that happens here. If such agreement is a term of membership, then I suppose I'll find out soon.

Wasa

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Stinky,

When you have so many things pile up on you that you cannot carry them anymore, then you fall flat on your face and cannot get up or cope or function, it's a breakdown. Then I have heard that people who totally lose touch with reality are having breakdowns, too. If you see yourself or someone headed that way then see a doctor or read and educate yourself.

If it's you then start helping yourself by talking about this with caring people and casting off burdons in your life that are too heavy if that's possible. Stress can have a cumulative effect. It can snowball and knock you flat.

Heather

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

nervous breakdown

Noun 1. nervous breakdown - a severe or incapacitating emotional disorder crack-up, breakdown - a mental or physical breakdown
    nervous exhaustion , nervous prostration - an emotional disorder that leaves you exhausted and unable to work
    neurasthenia - nervous breakdown (not in technical use)
  • Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit