"Nervous Breakdown"

by StinkyPantz 89 Replies latest watchtower medical

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=288

A "Nervous Breakdown" is a popular term - it is not a clinical term - that is often used to describe a mental disorder that a person experiences. It is used for a number of reasons, including: to hide a diagnosis; to avoid the stigma of a diagnosis; not understanding the reasons for certain loss of function (such as not seeing a doctor, but having symptoms); and not accepting a diagnosis among others.

There are many disorders that can fit within the criteria of "Nervous Breakdown", but those that most commonly occur are those related to:

The Disorder that is mimics the most directly however is Major Depressive Disorder (Depression).

On the historical note, the reason the term "Nervous Breakdown" came into being was that people preferred to have a physical (Nerves) illness as opposed to a psychological or psychiatric illness.

• Scully
    Scully

This is an adaptation of the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale. I think you'll find it interesting to check your own score to figure out what your risk is of experiencing depression related to stressful life events. Each situation listed has a rating. Add together all the ones that apply to you during the last 12 months. If you have had certain events happen twice, double the score, etc. The higher your rating, the higher your risk for depression due to stressful life events.

http://www.teachhealth.com/#stressscale Your Stress Scale

In the following table you can look up representative changes in your life and see how much stress value each of these changes is adding to your life. NOTE ANY ITEM THAT YOU MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED IN THE LAST TWELVE MONTHS. Then, total up your score.

(Adapted from the "Social Readjustment Rating Scale" by Thomas Holmes and Richard Rahe. This scale was first published in the "Journal of Psychosomatic Research", Copyright 1967, vol.II p. 214. It is used by permission of Pergamon Press Ltd.)

STRESS EVENT VALUES

1. DEATH OF SPOUSE 100
    2. DIVORCE 60
    3. MENOPAUSE 60
    4. SEPARATION FROM LIVING PARTNER 60
    5. JAIL TERM OR PROBATION 60
    6. DEATH OF CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER OTHER THAN SPOUSE 60
    7. SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR ILLNESS 45
    8. MARRIAGE OR ESTABLISHING LIFE PARTNERSHIP 45
    9 .FIRED AT WORK 45
    10.MARITAL OR RELATIONSHIP RECONCILIATION 40
    11.RETIREMENT 40
    12.CHANGE IN HEALTH OF IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER 40
    13.WORK MORE THAN 40 HOURS PER WEEK 35
    14.PREGNANCY OR CAUSING PREGNANCY 35
    15.SEX DIFFICULTIES 35
    16.GAIN OF NEW FAMILY MEMBER 35
    17.BUSINESS OR WORK ROLE CHANGE 35
    18.CHANGE IN FINANCIAL STATE 35
    19.DEATH OF A CLOSE FRIEND (not a family member) 30
    20.CHANGE IN NUMBER OF ARGUMENTS WITH SPOUSE OR LIFE PARTNER 30
    21.MORTGAGE OR LOAN FOR A MAJOR PURPOSE 25
    22.FORECLOSURE OF MORTGAGE OR LOAN 25
    23.SLEEP LESS THAN 8 HOURS PER NIGHT 25
    24.CHANGE IN RESPONSIBILITIES AT WORK 25
    25.TROUBLE WITH IN-LAWS,OR WITH CHILDREN 25
    26.OUTSTANDING PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT 25
    27.SPOUSE BEGINS OR STOPS WORK 20
    28.BEGIN OR END SCHOOL 20
    29.CHANGE IN LIVING CONDITIONS (visitors in the home,
    change in roommates, remodeling house) 20
    30.CHANGE IN PERSONAL HABITS (diet, exercise,
    smoking, etc.) 20
    31.CHRONIC ALLERGIES 20
    32.TROUBLE WITH BOSS 20
    33.CHANGE IN WORK HOURS OR CONDITIONS 15
    34.MOVING TO NEW RESIDENCE 15
    35.PRESENTLY IN PRE-MENSTRUAL PERIOD 15
    36.CHANGE IN SCHOOLS 15
    37.CHANGE IN RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES 15
    38.CHANGE IN SOCIAL ACTIVITIES (more or less than before) 15
    39.MINOR FINANCIAL LOAN 10
    40.CHANGE IN FREQUENCY OF FAMILY GET-TOGETHERS 10
    41.VACATION 10
    42.PRESENTLY IN WINTER HOLIDAY SEASON 10
    43.MINOR VIOLATION OF THE LAW 5

• morty
    morty

Stinky,

If you believe you or a family member is having one,you should seek medical advice right away....Do not leave it...A nervous break down,can cause a stroke or heart attack...(if not physically healthy)...my auntie had one,left it too long and had a heart attack...I think you have gotten all the indications from the other posts on what the symtons are...I hope you or a family member are all right....

mortons68

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I hope you are feeling OK Stinky. See a doctor, get some meds if you feel like you're about to "go over the edge" or something.

I had what I would call a "nervous breakdown" in March 2001. Missed 4 days of work, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't sit still, thank God for my "worldly" sister who let me stay at her house for a few days.

The elders advice? "We need to get you out in field service, brother!" and "do you think you might benefit from a Bible study?"

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Stinky I had one a quite a few years ago --I am a total extrovert - but an event happened which brought on major depression then everything came out and I went to pieces --there were times I really wanted to die. It can happen to anyone with the right triggers - at the time I had just benn appointed an MS

• Simon
    Simon

You didn't say that you were having one SPm just what the symptoms were and how you would know.

If you have to ask then you are most likely not having one. Your friends would know instead so you should as any offline friends you may have.

• Beans
    Beans

Since I was 9 years old my mother has been having these attacks, I think combined with seeing a war a a young child and belonging to a cult and having a husband with no patience this had provided the roots for her condition!

What everyone has said above sums it up pretty good. The first one she had I watched her try and stab herself with a pair of scissors and my father had to jump 14 stairs to get them out of her hands.

Since 1977 my mother has had numerous attacks and been on medication, very hard for a child to watch growing up. I look back at my report cards from this time period in my life and I went from above average in every subject in grade 4 to barley passing every year after that.

Beans

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Check with the nearest Crisis Center.

Old Crow

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

left you a message over there.... please get in touch with me, OK? *hugs you*

• MrMoe
    MrMoe
    If you have to ask then you are most likely not having one. Your friends would know instead so you should as any offline friends you may have.

WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE HER MENTAL STATE?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit