A Curiosity

by ozziepost 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kj
    kj

Does anyone own a copy of that translation, or know where I can get a copy?

kj

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Because he uses the name Jehovah all the way through --that is why they use it -- do not forget for years they used the King James and they still quote from other translations in talks at KHs, CA Halls and District Conventions

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Does anyone own a copy of that translation, or know where I can get a copy?

I have two copies -- available as a controlled stock item through a Kingdom Hall only

• kj
    kj
    I have two copies -- available as a controlled stock item through a Kingdom Hall only

Any chance you'd want to sell one?

kj

• Loris
    Loris

Before I left for good I tried to obtain a copy at the KH. The literature servant looked at me like I had two heads. He was young. He ordered it but 6 months later I still did not have it and the heat was on. I will never know if it came in.

My thought was that the WT bought the publishing rights to Byington's translation and the Diagalott so that no one else would ever be able to publish them. They made their own interliniar and stopped publishing the Diagalott which was a superior work. IMHO I was never able to get my hands on a Byington translation as I was too poor to afford it at the time it came out. When trying to figure out WT motive look to the most evil sinister possible.

Loris

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Byington's wife leaving the rights to the Watchtower Society so that his translation would be published and distributed as a memorial to him

But that doesn't explain why, does it? "spiritual fornication" indeed! Still curious.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi OZZIEPOST! I just pulled my personal copy off the shelf and noticed this comment from Steven.

In his Translator's Preface, Byington states on page 7,"As to the Old Testament name of God,certainly the spelling and pronunciation "Jehovah" were originally a blunder.But the spelling and the pronunciation are not highly important.What is highly important is to keep it clear that this is a personal name."

Here-in lies what I think is a partial answer to your curiosity,it may not be the full answer,but we all know that anytime that the Watchtower can find any thing that supports their use of the name "Jehovah" they go after it.

Blueblades,btw,I have never seen anyone in the congregation use this translation at all.???

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

To all,

I did some research on the development of the New World Translation Committee a number of years ago. Through interviews with older-bethelites and JW researchers, I was able to confirm that Steven T. Byington was involved to some extent in assisting the NWTC in preparation for the NWT Bible. The extent of his assistance is unknown. I know there was correspondence between Freddy Franz and Byington, Goodpseed, Waddell prior to the 1950 release of the Christian Greek Scriptures. I have only been able to obtain copies of the correspondence between Franz and Goodspeed. This was I believe in 1947, when the Committee was first formed. Franz was asking for Goodspeeds assistance regarding information on Septuagint (LXX) manuscripts containing the divine name. Goodspeed was in his late seventies by this time, and was obviously not as in tune with biblical scholarship as he was when he was professor at the University of Chicago. Goodspeed did not supply Franz with any detailed information, and in fact, was rather unaware that such manuscripts existed. An interesting side-note regarding Goodspeed was that not too many people know that he used to subscribe to the Watchtower magazine. He discontinued his subscription because he did not like the Awake's magazine's quotation of a Time magazine article. Apparently at the time, he didnt consider Time to be a reputable news source. He sent the WT an angry letter and asked for his subscription to the Watchtower to be cancelled.

Now, regarding Byington's translation. If I recall correctly, the Watchtower purchased his manuscript in 1951. This was several years before his passing. So the story regarding the wife donating the translation is not true. I dont have any details as to why the society felt it necessary to purchase Byington's manuscript. I think it is rather odd though that they waited 21 years to publish the translation.

Hope this helps

Alf3831

• toreador
    toreador

Alf said:

I have only been able to obtain copies of the correspondence between Franz and Goodspeed.

Thanks Alf for your observations. I am curious though, how in heck did you get copies of correspondence between Franz and Goodspeed? It would have to take an act of congress wouldn't it?

thanks,

Toreador

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Stephanus:
    In the Scottish Psalter (used for singing the Psalms in nigh on all highland churches, and many worldwide) the name Jehovah is found, too, in the following Psalms:

7, 20, 29, 31, 33, 83, 98, 104, 106, 124, 144, 145, 148.

A copy of this Psalter is found in the back of many copies of the KJV of the bible, adding to the number of instances of where this name can be found in this translation.

In addition, it can be found in the foreword of the following Psalms, in the Notes version by John Brown of Haddington (1722-1787):

2, 4, 11, 16, 18, 46, 48, 62, 82, 87, 93, 99, 115, 130, 135.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit