A Curiosity

by ozziepost 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Back in 1972 the WTB&TS published a new translation of the Bible, "The Bible in Living English", otherwise known as Byington's translation.

Who was Byington?

The Publisher's Note tells us that Steven T Byington was born in 1868 and studied languages at a university and a theological seminary. He was a member of the Congregational Church in Massachusetts, USA and the translation was almost his lifetime's work. He died in 1957 without the translation ever being published.

Where does the WTS fit into all this? Again the Publisher's Note tells us: "After his death in 1957 the Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society of Pennsylvania received the publication rights for the entire work."

Why though, would the WTS go to considerable trouble to publish a new translation from a member of "Babylon the Great", as the WTS terms the churches of Christendom?

A clue to their thinking is in the Publisher's Statement: "We, the publishers, are pleased to make Mr Byington's complete translation available to the reading public for the first time. It is our prayer that "The Bible in Living English" may play a part in helping honest-hearted readers to come to know the Supreme Sovereign of the universe, Jehovah." So the WTS was willing to publish the work of a member of Babylon the Great justifying themselves by the use of the name "Jehovah"!

How curious!

Even more curious is that in the thirty years since publication this translation has seldom been used by Jehovah's Witnesses at their meetings. In fact, if any dub were to use it at the KH meetings, they would be looked upon with suspicion. So why was it published?

Why would the WTS side-step its own stated repugnance of the works of Babylon the Great?

Where was the F&DS in its publication?

A very curious affair!

Cheers, Ozzie

• morty
    morty

interesting read ozzie...thanks for sharring...you have me thinking now...

mortons68

• Gopher
    Gopher

I remember getting this Bible at the local congregation. It was quoted a few times in WTS publications during the 1970's, after which it seems to have faded from view.

It contained thousands of references to "Jehovah" as the divine name, as well as a quirky but somewhat refreshing verbiage that the translator used. Personally I found other translations like the Jerusalem Bible and the Living English Bible much more readable.

Page 2 of this thread shows a WTS-Byington link I was unaware of, in that he provided assistance to the New World Translation Committee. (Look at the end of the post by ALF3831)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Here's a link to more Byington info, including his reviews of the parts of the New World Translation that were available while he was still alive. (He died in 1957.)

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/byington.htm

• mizpah
    mizpah

Ozziepost:

I can remember when the Byington's translation was released at an assembly. Most of us were curious as to why this was done when we had the NWT. It was seldom used. In recent years, I have concluded that the Watchtower BIBLE & Tract Society had to justify its name by publishing and releasing something new. Most Jehovah's Witnesses bought copies only because it was recommended by the Society. So, it also generated money for the Society.

The Watchtower Society knows that it has guaranteed buyers for every publication. JWs were always anxious to be the first in the congregation to have a copy. Some would even go to the earlier assemblies to accomplish this. It's all part of the psyche of JWs.

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

I've seen the name Jehovah used often in the 19th and early 20th centuries by both the religious and non-religious (Robert Ingersoll comes to mind). It seems to have been fashionable. The American Standard Version of the Bible also uses Jehovah. Wasn't this Bible also used by JWs before they had their own translation? How does the Society now view the ASV or versions that use Yahweh? I don't know where all this is leading, just food for thought I guess. CPiolo

• mustang
    mustang

CP,

I was going to mention the ASV. I remember using it before we had the NWT and AFTER, as well. In those days, I always had one around. I think that the WTBTS kept it in the catalog for quite some time, if they ever removed it.

Mustang

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Back in my days as literature servant, I noticed that the book was available from the society as a special order. So, I ordered one and still have it.

I think they bought the rights to it because it supported some of their translation quirks. They may have bought it as an investment. I believe they have bought the rights to some other translations as well.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Curious too that the WTS should believe it has a mortgage on the use of the name "Jehovah". As others here have indicated, the name is not hidden from churchgoers. Quite the opposite in fact. One of my favourite old hymns is "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah". Sung by Bryn Tyrfel it's just magic!

The difference between the Borg and "the others" seems to be in what the WTS claim for the name, i.e. that it should alone be used, it's paramount, it's the literal name of God, which of course isn't indicated at all by the word "name", as the "Insight on the Scriptures" book admits. Check it out. You'll find it interesting.

Cheerrs, Ozzie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ozzie,

I may be completely mistaken here but if I remember correctly Stephen Byington left the printing rights of his translation to the WTS in his will. That is certainly what is swimming around in my head at present.

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit