The lost congregation, or something else?

by spiritwalker 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I agree that this board shouldn't replace trying to open oneself to the outside world. If one just goes from a closed community of Witnesses to a closed community of ex-Witnesses, that would indeed be unhealthy.

But I think that one of the things we do here is support each other in our quest to open up to the world, to make non-Witness friends, and engage in non-Witness activities.

Still, I like Nathan Natas' analogy to veterans organizations. Juse like service in the military, being a JW is a life-changing event. And it only makes sense that we would want to maintain some contact with individuals who have shared that event, and can understand its aftereffects.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Many times people come to these places to heal. Once healed, they move on. Some stay for a while to help other heal. No one says that XJWs should have one dimensional lives consisting only of virtual friends in cyberspace, just as no one would say that members of a community should always hang out at the community hall.

I agree with this 100%. I must also add that this board is a great step to overcome two major things - talking to disfellowshipped people and making friends outside of the org.

I'll tell you something, I wish there was a support group around when I left, I could have really used it. Exiting without any support is incredibly difficult, and very discouraging at times. I'm also here because I enjoy helping people. Helping people is much more rewarding than being part of a congregation of people pretending to be everyone else's friend.

BTW, welcome to the board!

• franklin J
    franklin J

Hi spiritwalker,

Welcome to this forum!

It is a wonderful support network of people who have all left ( or are in the process) the WTBTS. There are others here who, for whatever reasons, are still active in the faith, but are disallusioned. Whatever, it is a forum of rational, caring people who all understand how difficult it is to cope with and survive " Life after JW land". I left 20 odd years ago and understand that it is a "challenge" to adjust to life on the outside. Make as many new friends as you can, and if yu feel the need, see a therapist, to help you sort through the feelings of abandonement and depression. You can build a satisfying life for yourself on the outside, without having to worry about " demons possssing you".

As was mentioned in previous posts, we learn on the outside that our life will be what we make of it. Keep a positive mental attitude, and keep smiling... this board is a source of camaraderie to me, even after 20 years of being outside the "truth". Keep checking in and post when you feel comfortable enough to do so. Best of luck to you.. and welcome aboard !!!

regards, Frank

• spiritwalker
    spiritwalker

AA, Veterans of Foreign Wars and other support style organizations, are wonderful parts of our society. Yet, it is noted often that AA and NA are often religious like in their following. Not that these organizations do not give proper and needed support, but they do often replace one addiction with another addiction. So when I see the comparison to these, I also see the danger of what I mentioned in the beginning. That it is very easy to take one personality weakness, strength, whatever we label it. Pull it from one organization, and place it into another.

Now, I should state, that before I posted this main thread. I took the time to examine, as a reader, the post on many boards with Ex-Jw themes. I must say, that for the most part the people who were involved were nice sounding people. In fact, many discussed their points with a level of education I found very enlightening and informative. Yet all of the boards, I read, seemed to have one thing in common. I did not get the over all impression that people got along that well in general. So I was wondering why? Is it the missing piece of the religion and frustration of what happened?

I thought about this for awhile today. In thinking, I thought that maybe it had more to do with stubbornness. After all, as Witnesses we were above all things, "always right!" No religion was better, no organization was better and no publications or teachings were better then ours. It planted a seed of arrogance that grew inside and made us proud. Perhaps the biggest punch this world gives us, is the one that says, "You are more often wrong, then right." Which might be a hard pill to swallow for some, and they chock into the online arguments I have seen on every board. That caused me to personally surmise the thinking I have stated. Personal thinking, I would like to emphasize!

Any how, I do enjoy reading and I will post. I do think the advice I read on another board was very good. In which a poster stated, "enjoy it as a casual hang out, but never see it as your life."

• Gopher
    Gopher

Good points, spiritwalker. You sure make me think. I am glad you've decided to hang around here for a while.

I think the previous posters' mention of therapy groups like Alcoholics Anonymous was meant just as an example to show that when people need to get together, and can talk honestly about their past experience, that it can help them move on with life. I don't see the "religious" part of AA carrying over to this board, as no specific program or dogma is enforced. I only see the comparison to AA on a social level.

Given the variety of backgrounds of people on this board, we do get along quite well. Yeah there are times when stubbornness and arguments arise, after all we're all human here. But I've seen several times since I've joined the board that -- after all is said and done -- people here rise above the fray and apologize and try to make amends. Additionally, Simon and our moderators do their best to try to help keep things civil on this board. It isn't perfect, but what is?

"Never see this as your life" -- is a good rule. This board can be viewed as a stepping stone to better understanding of our ex-JW circumstance, and a sounding board where people can share ideas. But of course it only complements REAL LIFE, and it doesn't replace it. If people keep proper perspective, then perhaps they wouldn't take some of the arguments so seriously.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Spiritwalker, Nice first post. Being a Witness is indeed a very cocoon type environment, one that can be perceived as secure in many ways. Leaving can be frightening, and coming here can offer some degree of fellowship, support and understanding, not unlike our past. I don't see this as a judgment so much as a good observation. also, I don't see anything wrong with it as it is our nature to find comfort in familiarity. The difference is that in the Witnesses freshness, newness and aliveness is considered taboo; one can be cast out for moving outside the rut. Here, new things are discussed and welcomed for the most part. You don't know what you will find. Oh, by the way:

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I did not get the over all impression that people got along that well in general. So I was wondering why? Is it the missing piece of the religion and frustration of what happened?

You made some very interesting points. The thing is people naturally enjoy getting into debates, but some things cause other people's tempers to flare up. I think the biggest problem is that they haven't replaced "Watchtower Control" with "Self Control". If you have nothing to replace the Watchtower Control, then you have No Control. If people don't set themselves boundaries, they'll be quite unpredictable. Make sense?

• Makena1
    Makena1

Spiritwalker - welcome!

We left for good memorial 2000 - and began "associating" with some really great ex-jw's in the area. It really helped us to verbally express what we were going through, and receive some loving support. This board has been a great source of information, entertaining, and a way to stay in touch with friends and make new ones.

Wish you the best!

By the way - your name called to mind a great song by Stevie Wonder:

Spiritual walkers Lyrics

Stevie Wonder ( Buy Stevie Wonder CDs )
    In Square Circle

They knock on your door
    You laugh in their face
    They tell you its time to pray
    They give you a book
    And tell you to read
    And point to the Judgment Day

People say they live dangerously
    Walking places they should not be
    But they will walk their lives
    With a never ending light
    They will walk their lives
    til they shine the light
    Of truth into your life

They sit on a stump
    You run from their sight
    To not hear the holy word
    They sing and they chant
    They preach and they speak
    In tongues you have never heard

But people say they live dangerously
    til they shine the light
    Of truth into your life

Havent you ever encountered the spiritual walkers
    They just walk the light through the day through the night
    Walk on ...

On corners of streets
    And airports of tents
    They reach out for you to come in
    They have no defense
    Except inner sense
    And knowing the Almighty Friend

People say they live dangerously
    til they shine the light
    Of truth into your life truth into your life ????? hmmmmm

(repeat)

Come on and shine that light through the day through the night
    Even though when they knock on your door
    You laugh in their face
    You run from their sight
    Not to hear the holy word
    They have no defense
    Except inner sense
    Havent you

• Panda
    Panda

Welcom Spiritwalker, very nice name!

By coming to this forum you are not replacing anything from your life. We are all of us our histories, and this is just the next place for you to be in finding out how other folks think. The terrific situation here is the differences btwn ppl ideologies etc. You will find plenty of debate and good humor. Debate doesn't mean hate, it's spirited and refreshingly honest. As JW's contrariness meant Satanic it only stands as your opinion here.

Another great thing is that you don't have to be here everyday or everyweek ... stay away, post don't post, your obligation is to yourself not everyone else.

Of course the internet has it's own code of manners. We've all found out what those are and how to respect others. Not that everyone does that, but then again so what... if we are striving for diversity we should be glad a the differences.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Welcome!

It would be cool if we would/could just leave the jw religion and never look back. Some can. My wife, for example, became inactive, said "I don't want anything to do with it any longer" and never felt a need to discuss her thoughts with anyone online. I, on the other hand, seem to need to know that there are others like who feel and think like I do about the religion.

For others, they're here for a time, then they move on. Many of us stick around, helping newer posters, and deepening friendships made here, or just having fun. Or, we still need support and affirmation on some level.

One thing we have for sure is a common background and experience that few who never were jws could not really understand. That's what I think is a big factor in keeping many of us here. We can say 'yes, I understand' when another one of us shares their thoughts and feelings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit