"Keep in touch as a family." He said.

by Darkknight757 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Well today was the big day. We finally let the cat out of the bag to the in-laws about Watchtower. Previously there were unknown rumors being spread about me and today I found out why the wife and I are being shunned. Firstly, people saw on my Facebook account that I am growing a beard. That means that I'm turning "worldly" thus becoming bad association. Second, some people were somehow surprised to see the term "God hater" when referring to myself. We lost two kids and then our faith for crying out loud!!!! Something like that's gonna piss a person off!!

Either way we told the in-laws that we are no longer following Watchtower and gave a few reasons why: NWT13 Bible, Feb 15 2017 Watchtower quote, Bible not historically accurate or scientifically accurate, the name "Jehovah and it's use in the NT, resurrection promise, paradise earth unfounded in scripture, quote mining , child abuse and the "two Witness rule. The discussion went well. Of course we have been "blinded by Satan."

So toward the end my father-in-law said that we can keep in touch "as a family." Not sure if any of you might be able to explain that? He also said to email any questions that we have and he can give us answers. I told him thank you but no. He's far too old to destroy his faith like that and I told him that.

At least the conversation was civil. Nobody raised their voice but my mother-in-law was really upset. Either way at least that is finally over with. I told them that no judicial action has been taken and we are not disassociating. I let them know too that if any action is taken it will be with my lawyer present.

What I don't get is that he's a well respected elder and he honestly couldn't address one question raised. Just said that we are under Satans control and that he would pray for us. How sad.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

It must be a relief for you.

"What I don't get is that he's a well respected elder and he honestly couldn't address one question raised."

We have noticed this also with our family. They just keep parroting, "obedience to Jehovah."

At least you have been honest with your families. I admire that. It will be interesting to see how they all treat you and your wife in the near future. I am sure you are prepared for whatever they have to dish our.

Keep us posted Darkknight757. Good for you, you were honest with your families. Maybe we will get there soon!

• schnell
    schnell

It should be surprising, but it isn't really if your father in law couldn't answer any question or challenge you raised. I, too, tried to get an adequate response to things. It never happened, and as I've said here, most of these guys wouldn't pass the entrance exam to Seminary. They just think they would, and they think Christendom doesn't understand the Bible.

I also like my beard. Fuck Rutherford.

• millie210
    millie210

I believe there is a stipulation about a family member limiting association with DFd relatives to "Necessary family business."

Perhaps even though you are not DFd, your father in law has a modified form of that quote in mind?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm with Millie, I think that they were basically telling you that you're shunned but if family matters need to be discussed they'll be there for it.

My dad, an elder, couldn't answer me either. We never really talked, but one time he, for the first and last time ever, called me on the phone and ranted at me over Biblical stuff. I could name scriptures for my position, he could only say "do you believe in the Bible or not" and was terrible at that whole "make a defense before everyone that demands it of you" thing.

I'm glad that you get to just be who you are now. Bad things hide in the dark, once exposed to the light you can just move on. There may be negative consequences, and I'm sorry that you all will undoubtedly face some, but honestly they're for the best even if they don't feel like it at the time. Toxic people aren't good for you.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"What I don't get is that he's a well respected elder and he honestly couldn't address one question raised."~ Dark Knight

We have noticed this also with our family. They just keep parroting, "obedience to Jehovah."~ ToesUp

We just had a similar experience at a family reunion of sorts. One of the JW famly members said she was disappointed that younger/newer JWs couldn't defend doctrines with the Bible as she recalls her parents and Bros & Sisters of old doing so well. So another person listening to the conversation starts asking some of "those questions" that you aren't supposed to ask. You know, about the F&DS being directed by Holy Spirit but getting everything completely wrong and having to constantly be bailed out by "New Lite" (sounds like a beer).

Faster than the honk of the horn of a New York taxi driver the shit hit the fan. She broke down in tears, got all flustered and emotional and screamed that she wasn't going to listen to anyone who is critical of the GB/F&DS! Whoa, Sister! What happened to picking up your Bible and defending the doctrines you are teaching as The Truth?

Just like DarkKnight's FIL, they really have no idea what they believe or why they believe it. They are just parroting the WT magazine and "trusting in Jehovah". (Wait until they wake up and find out they were just trusting in imperfect men who err and are not infallible nor inspired! . . . . Doc

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    Bible not historically accurate or scientifically accurate, the name "Jehovah and it's use in the NT, resurrection promise, paradise earth unfounded in scripture, quote mining , child abuse and the "two Witness rule.

In light of the evidence you presented, it is fairly clear who are blinded.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Thanks for the comments everyone. It is quite liberating as now we no longer need to hide. Our non witless family has been extremely supportive. This day was a good 8 months or so coming.

I really hope they wake up but only time will tell with that. I was considering just sending an email with the imperial bible dictionary and asking him to fact check "Jehovah" and "cross" and see for himself but I'm not sure if that will just cause more harm?? Either way the relationship we had with them was already strained and my wife was prepared for something like this.

They asked us what translation of the Bible we are reading and we told them NIV. They also asked us to try and pray and we honestly told them we don't know how to pray, considering we have been praying to a 12th century bc Canaanite Storm God all these years. They were kinda stone faced on that one. 😬

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Witnesses have been carefully dumbed down by Borg, back in 60s 70s 80s or so most witnesses, not just elders, could make a positive attempt at explaining without trite wash over comments with no substance. I believe deliberately the "flock" have been bred to not ask questions and more importantly, not to be capable of answering them. They are easier to herd that way. Modern religion is not one of "faith and works" but is more on lines of "no faith and no works" but "blind loyalty"

GB could announce that Armageddon was never coming or the paradise earth is not happening and majority would not blink an eye, the bland and completely lacking in educational qualities of the JW.org stuff is amazing, all the dead ones from former years would recoil in horror at such stuff. I remember in the former TMS sisters having such topics as "Abadon and Apollyon" , level or quality of teaching at meetings now equals emotional appeals (often for money) to be loyal, what to is my question?.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Well done Darkknight. Totally free now!

As for your F.I.L. and other J.W. family members, I would sincerely doubt if you will ever be having any family get-togethers with them.

Kind of you to leave the elderly man with his "beliefs" intact. If he's sincere, maybe one day he'll ask you to discuss your reasons for leaving "the truth."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit