35 Years Ago Today - John Lennon - Peace Advocate was Murdered

by flipper 58 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

DONE4GOOD- Good points you make. I mean I know I've messed up in my life sometimes- but I'd like to think I believe in the greater good of mankind also. Lennon certainly showed that he valued the greater good of mankind through the songs he wrote and what he protested for in standing up to the government at times.

SMIDDY- I looked at the young man with the dark hair in a tux in the lower left hand side of the screen at the 1 minute mark of Lennon's performance of Imagine on this page - I don't believe that was the same guy who killed him about 6 or 7 years later. No, I don't think so. I've seen pictures of the killer Mark David Chapman in the mid 1970's and he was very heavy, rather slovenly and sloppy looking actually with glasses , and had lighter colored brown hair - didn't look anything like this guy you mention here. Can you imagine if Lennon's killer had been stalking him for years and years - how creepy would THAT be ? Gives me the chills just thinking about it. I swear- there are so many psycho's in this world it's pathetic. Thanks for the heads up though. Take care man, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Flipper: Can you imagine if Lennon's killer had been stalking him for years and years - how creepy would THAT be ? Gives me the chills just thinking about it. I swear- there are so many psycho's in this world it's pathetic.

Chapman was quite insane. He had made an earlier trip to New York in October with intent to kill Lennon but wasn't successful until the December shooting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_David_Chapman

Chapman allegedly started planning to kill Lennon three months prior to the murder.
    He had been a big Beatles fan, idolizing Lennon, and played guitar himself, but turned against him after claiming to become a Christian; he was angered at Lennon's comment that the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus."

I read Catcher in the Rye a few years back, curious about the novel that Chapman had so readily and obsessively identified with. It seemed a rather innocuous novel until at one point (I can't remember which chapter), it was brilliantly revealed that the protogonist was insane. Very insane. After that, the novel became chilling.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    I read Catcher in the Rye a few years back, curious about the novel that Chapman had so readily and obsessively identified with.

Catcher in the Rye seems a bit tame by today's standards.

I can understand why it was so controversial though.

---

General note: It seems as if activism for universal peace can elicit some violent responses. Some examples:

Martin Luther King

Mahatma Gandhi

John Lennon

Perhaps its because the idea of humanity at peace with itself is such a powerful concept.

---

Many people posted Lennon songs, so I thought I'd post one written by Lennon but redone by someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8s15Zt1S30

From: Make Some Noise (The Amnesty International Campaign To Save Darfur) Disc 2

• flipper
    flipper

ORPHAN CROW- Thanks for that information on mark David Chapman. I do remember awhile back reading that he did make a trip two months earlier to New York to shoot Lennon. What a freak and scumbag. Those kinds of people HAVE to be kept locked away to protect the public AND the rest of Lennon's family.

SAINTBERTHOLDT- Thanks for the you tube, nice version of Real Love. It really is a sad thing in life when people who try to put forth peace on our planet get enemies who want to take them out. Still- Peace is the better option to promote than war indeed

• flipper
    flipper

Here's another song written by Lennon that I enjoyed in 1995 and the other Beatles put their voices and instruments to after he died, the you tube is really interesting as well : Hope the video shows, if not just enjoy the song :

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?=free+as+a+bird+video&view=detail&mid=5ADBA8F35F53800AA1745ADBA8F35F53800AA174&FORM=VIRE5

• flipper
    flipper

Just my luck- I try to post the video " Free as a Bird " from the Beatles - type everything in correctly and it directs me to a Justin Bieber you tube. As Bugs Bunny said once- "Some days I should have just stood in bed ". LOL.

If anybody has the ability to post the song and video of " Free as a Bird " by the Beatles - I'd appreciate it. I tried posting about 10 different you tubes of it and it kept saying the video wasn't available. I don't know if Yoko revoked the rights of people to post this - or what ? Must be some legal thing. Let me know if you find out. Thanks, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• TheWonderofYou
  • flipper
    flipper
    THE WONDEROFYOU- Hey ! Thanks so much ! I don't know WHY I could not get any of the you tubes to post ! Thanks for providing the " Free as a Bird " you tube . I really appreciate it ! Take care, peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • flipper
    flipper
    THE WONDEROFYOU_ Hey thanks for trying ! I take it back, something comes on and says these videos will not post in my country the United States. Must be some licensing thing in England perhaps ? Don't know. Thanks for trying anyway

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit