35 Years Ago Today - John Lennon - Peace Advocate was Murdered

by flipper 58 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper
    LOVEUNIHATEXAMS- You know, I really don't know WHO or WHAT the song " I Want You ( She's So Heavy ) was directed to or at or for ? I'm in the dark like you are. One hell of a song which has always been one of my favorites on Abbey Road though. Thanks for posting the song ! I appreciate it ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • flipper
    flipper

Here is another song of John Lennon's that I really like :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-vSvZD3Spk

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Just saw this on Mark Evanier's blog, News From Me dot com

http://paulharrisonline.blogspot.com/2010/12/monday-night-lennon.html

Marina

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Was just listening to 'Beautiful Boy' posted by Watson on page 2 of this thread.

The lyric '... life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans' gave me goose-bumps. It's an emotional response, I think.

Lots of beautiful melodies or profound lyrics do this to me. I'm not musical, can't play an instrument for toffee, and can barely sing in tune. But I do 'feel' music.

Can anyone else relate to this?

• watson
    watson

This was filmed after Walls and Bridges and Rock and Roll Music, and just before his retirement to be a house husband and help raise his new baby. To me it's clear that he had problems with nerves and some stage fright, but his talent comes thru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2hvkPyiAFE

• watson
    watson

These guys helped me keep my sanity. 10 years old and I was being taught that the world as I knew it was probably going to come to an end in about 7 years. Billions would be lost to prove a point.....

Here's the "boys" all grown up. John told us thru song, that it was "going to be alright!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

• flipper
    flipper

IOWNMYLIFE- Thanks Marina for posting that interesting link about John and the Monday Night Football connection regarding the announcement of his death. That is how I found out about Lennon's death was by watching Howard Cosell announce it. I just sat there stunned in disbelief at age 21 back in 1980. I grew up with groups like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin as my heroes and since Zeppelin's drummer John Bonham had just died a couple months earlier at age 33 with Led Zeppelin disbanding - my winter of 1980 was incredibly morose. Tragedy to two of my favorite bands months apart. Reading your link brought tears to my eyes once again helping me appreciate how much the Beatles meant to me.

LOVEUNIHATEXAMS- Beautiful Boy really was a very nice song Lennon wrote for his son. Lots of love in that song.

WATSON- " These guys helped me keep my sanity ". You and me both my friend. If it wasn't for having The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues , and rock & roll music in general I may have gone crazy as a teenager and ran away from home from my domineering elder dad's tight fisted regime and rules . Music helped me to tune out all the idiotic controlling rhetoric spewing out of the WT Society's leaders mouths. Helped me to ground myself into reality of a freedom thinking mind. it's possibly one of the big reasons I have such a freedom thinking mind today- is from listening to music from groups like these over the years ! And that's a GOOD thing ! Thanks for the cool you tubes my friend ! Peace out, mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Here's another cool Lennon song I liked :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=njG7p6CSbCU

• done4good
    done4good

Great thread...not much to add.

Yes, the man made personal mistakes, and that is the point. We all do/did. What he believed in was greater than what most humans are capable of doing by themselves as individuals, but in aggregate is the very thing that allows humanity to advance.

R.I.P. John

Jason

• smiddy
    smiddy

Flipper

In that John Lennon video of " Imagine" isn`t his killer sitting there in the left hand corner of the screen ?

From about 1 minute on ?

Just asking

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit