What books did you study?

by Nosferatu 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Before you got baptized, what were the books that you studied with your bible study conductor? The "essential" one that I studied was the Live Forever book. When I was a child, I had to study My book of Bible Stories, Great Teacher, and Your Youth (twice). I had also studied the Reasoning book and that ugly green-bordered brochure with the JW history in it.

• blondie
    blondie

The blue bomb--The truth book. I will add that my mother never studied with me (father not JW) and never had a study with another adult. All osmosis.

As to what other books I have studied over the years....too many to recount. I can say this, I cannot honestly say that I every studied the Bible at the meetings.

Blondie

• rocketman
    rocketman

For me it was "Things In Which It Is Impossible For God To Lie". I have no idea why my teacher picked that one, but in those days (early 1970s) the wts did not seem to 'enforce' the choice of books, even though the Truth book was standard fare. Things were looser in other ways too - bookstudies did not follow a set schedule printed in the KM but rather studied at their own pace.

• franklin J
    franklin J

does anyone remember the old "Paradise lost" book? Big, orange with lots of picures?

Frank

• Odrade
    Odrade
    does anyone remember the old "Paradise lost" book?

Yep, my dad studied that one with me as a kid.

O

• Swan
    Swan

Paradise Lost, Paradise Regained was the one my mom studied with me from infancy. It had the worst pictures. They give me nightmares to this day. The one of the buildings being destroyed and people falling into a great crack in the earth came back to haunt me when we went to the assembly in Anchorage shortly after the great quake of 1964. Seeing all of the destruction first hand was quite a trauma.

Tammy

• blondie
    blondie

My mother tried to study with us in the Paradise book. All we wanted to know was how we weren't going to fall into the crevasse when were standing by all these people. My mother never had an answer and we wouldn't go on without one.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Let God Be True

Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose

Paradise book

Let Your Name Be Sanctified

And a book, the name I have forgotten. It had to do with the king of the north and the king of the south and Daniel's prophecies. Anyone remember it?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Let your Kingdom Come -- Paradise on Earth and - United In Worship - 3 in total

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

Let God Be True

This Means Everlasting Life (an old red book, almost as old as Let God Be True)

The rest was osmosis and studying new releases at the cong. bookstudy

I had studies with some kids (siblings) when I was about 14 and we studied the Paradise Lost book. Their mom studied with my mom, and then some other sisters, and she wanted her kids to study too. One of the kids was blind, and he typed all his lessons in braille. I don't live in that area anymore, but I've heard that this kid is still a witness. I don't know about his brother and sister though. I don't remember them asking me about the picture of Armageddon and I guess I didn't dwell on it or I trivialized it. Wish I could remember....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit