Att: ex-Elders and Their Kids: Did You Really Have a Regular Family Study?

by Room 215 41 Replies latest jw friends

• JessieeMay
    JessieeMay

Wow I can not believe how many people did not have a family study. My dad still is an elder and every morning we had to get up at 6:00am and study the Daily Text, Then on Monday nights We always had a family study usually the watchtower. We would have to read it then go back and read it again with the answer and then read it a third time with all the scriptures looked up and commented on. It usually lasted 2 and a half hrs.It was awfull. We never missed a family study no matter where we were.I am so glad that I am not brainwashed anymore.

• unique1
    unique1

No. We tried several times, but something would always come up at our scheduled time and we would forego it.

• caligirl
    caligirl

We never had regular studies. Occasionally one of the assembly parts would make my Dad feel guilty enough to attempt getting all of us together and it would last for a week or two, then we would be back to our tv watching routine free of interruption.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Man, I'm kinda bummed reading all these stories of kids that didn't have them. We had them RELIGIOUSLY. Not just the family Watchtower study, but I also had a separate WEEKLY study for the Bible Story book and then later the YPA book. *sigh* I got jipped all around.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Put it this way: family bible study was done much more regularly than the day text!!!!

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

Dad was an elder,

But no, we didn't have a regular study.

DK

• Austrian
    Austrian

After every assembly my father would have a regular text reading and weekly bible study for about 2 months. Then he would just complain how his children were not into spiritual things like "perfect jw family so and so". I also remember visiting my friends house on saturdays and having to go through the grueling 2.5 hour family watchtower study. Boy did it suck!!!!!!!!!!

• talesin
    talesin

We had Yearbook every morning (or supper), bible reading every day.

Monday nite was regular family study.

We also had a 'schedule' posted in the kitchen - get up at 7, 7:15 breakfast, 7:30 school, etc. - this schedule was set up for 7 days/week, from the time we got up till bed time.

Saturdays were the worst - FIELD SERVICE EVERY WEEK

I'm getting nauseous just writing this.

tal

• Mac
    Mac
    I'm getting nauseous just writing this.

Jeeeeezzzzz!..........((Tale)),

I got a little queasy reading it! Blech!!!

I was usually only rounded up for a family study after getting caught in some transgression or another but, it was generally short lived.

mac

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

My dad was an elder and pillar in the congregation and we did NOT have a regular bible study.

My father-in-law was an elder and pillar in the congregation and they did NOT have a regular bible study.

I don't know any family that had a regular bible study. For most it was and still is today hit and miss.

wannaexit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit