Jehovah's Witnesses Scripturally Based Position on Child Protection

by humblepotato 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses will instruct the elders to report the matter if a minor is still in danger of abuse or there is some other valid reason.

Wait...isn't a child making an accusation of abuse automatically a "valid reason" to inform the police? The FIRST call they should make is one to the police, not to some cult bureaucracy. It's disgusting that they're proud enough of this policy to publish it publicly!

Edit: oops, in my outrage it seems that I missed that this had already been pointed out. Still though....absolutely disgusting...it's like they don't even look at the words they've written. How can someone read that back and think it's reasonable or casts them in a favorable light?

• Spiral
    Spiral

And why do they assume that the elders can correctly determine "if the minor is still in danger of abuse"? Do they have a crystal ball?

I wouldn't want to make that call. So, if the elders think a minor is no longer in danger, and abuse keeps happening, are the elders personally responsible (legally) for failing to report? And shouldn't they be? How could anyone ever be sure.

The way they split hairs is maddening. The rank and file will think it's a "loving provision" and will be lulled back to sleep. Children will continue to be abused. ugh

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    snugglebunny - "So basically it should only be reported if there is a danger of the child being molested again. Don't bother if it's just a one-off. Or there's been lots of occasions but it's not expected to happen again."

You always gotta read between the lines, 'cause what they don't say can be even more important than what they do.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

As JohnCedars and CovertFade just said on Twitter, read that policy back and substitute murder for child abuse and you see how utterly disgusting it is.

As a victim of child abuse myself, when you are abused it’s as if your life is over. I can’t put it into words but you are ripped apart emotionally and mentally and you never ever get over it.

The WT disgust me. They are making the name Jehovah synonymous with child abuse.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"I can't put it into words but you are ripped apart emotionally and mentally and you never get over it." - Phoebe

This is something that the uneducated and untrained Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, their middle manager Circuit Overseers and the local lackey elders DO NOT have any comprehension of. Children that are mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically and sexually abused are being put at a life long disadvantage and handicap. These men do not have the qualifications to help such ones. They must get protection from the law and an understanding 'ear' to help them process the trauma and continue to grow as children along a healthy path. I'm with you. The WT disgust me!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The elders are not qualified to assess the danger of a kitten crossing the road.

They would be like

"Is it a back road or a freeway?

Does the freeway have three lanes or six?

Is the kitten dressed appropriately?

Rightio then our conclusion is the freeway has only three lanes and the kitten seems pretty quick on her feet so we'll call no danger here.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I know that this document does not fit a basic request we all have: Elders should report to the police. BUT, I would like to point out that there are some serious progresses in this:

1) Now, each and every JW see the actual policy. Before then, many simply assumed that the elders would call the authorities. Now, they can see for themselves that this is not the case.

2) The rank and files now see clearly that they can call the police without pressure. So, all elders will need to comply with this as it is publicly available on the web site. Up until now, some elders could choose to ignore the procedure book and the victims would need to accept their word for it.

3) Victims do not need to face the accuser, they can have support from whom ever they wish, they can report freely to the police, this document is available PUBLICLY, these are all changes that have been brought about by the victims with the support of the "apostates". Our community service in denouncing senseless actions done by the WT does have an impact on their procedures and teachings.

Now, if they can plainly write that forensic/medical evidence are accepted as "a second witness" and that they report all child abuse, I will be satisfied with this. Looking at the speed of things, if we keep denouncing them for it, they will have to make a change in that direction as well.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    Therefore, victims, their parents, or anyone else who reports such an accusation to the elders are clearly informed by the elders that they have the right to report the matter to the authorities. Elders do not criticize anyone who chooses to make such a report.

Interesting, anyone who is aware of such a matter. Could be another brother, sister, etc. Anyone who heard of what happened. This is new. Isn't it?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    In addition, elders will inform parents of minors within the congregation of the need to monitor their children’s interaction with the individual.

With this, families within the congregations can talk to one another about a local pedophile without fearing any retribution from the elders. The fact this is written publically makes it much more applicable.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    . A person who has engaged in child sexual abuse does not qualify to receive any congregation privileges or to serve in a position of responsibility in the congregation for decades, if ever

Now we have the public admission that someone who was found guilty of pedophelia might become an elder 20 years later. They need to change this of course. But at least we have a public admission that they do allow them back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit