Jehovah's Witnesses Scripturally Based Position on Child Protection

by humblepotato 28 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• humblepotato
    humblepotato

NEWS ROOM > LEGAL DEVELOPMENTS > LEGAL RESOURCES

Jehovah's Witnesses Scripturally Based Position on Child Protection

I am having trouble understanding paragraph 5. It says:

"When elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, they immediately consult with the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses to ensure compliance with child abuse reporting laws. (Romans 13:1) Even if the elders have no legal duty to report an accusation to the authorities, the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses will instruct the elders to report the matter if a minor is still in danger of abuse or there is some other valid reason. Elders also ensure that the victim’s parents are informed of an accusation of child abuse. If the alleged abuser is one of the victim’s parents, the elders will inform the other parent."

So elders report abuse to the authorities, is that correct? Is this document a change we've been looking for? Or has everything stayed the same but outwardly paint a better picture?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Im not sure where that quote came from but i will treat it as legit and truly from the org for the purpose of my reply...

immediately i have a problem with it... they will report if the child is still in danger... really? Cause being raped once isnt worthy of reporting???? Who determins still in danger? If someone says ‘oh i wont do if again’ is that considered danger free?

Its simple. Report all abuse. Dont discourage anyone else from reporting. Anything less than that isnt enough. They are a church and have ZERO legal authority and shouldnt be involved in any way.

• humbled
    humbled

This sounds like a waffle.

They make it sound as though it is automatically reported to the authorities. But the elders are told to contact the branch office first to ensure compliance with child abuse reporting laws. (Romans 13:1)” —Wtf, why can’t the elders directly call the authorities to learn what the local law requires—why call the branch?

As Morpheus says: report it.

• krismalone
    krismalone
    Why didn't they report Stephanie Fesslers abuse to authorities? PENNSYLVANIA IS A REPORTING STATE. Yet the 2 bodies of elders, the service dept at Bethel along with legal dept did not report her abuse!!!
  • freddo
    freddo

This April 2018 document is on jborg and its existence highlighted at service meetings in an announcement.

It is a lame reaction to pressure IMHO.

That bit about reporting if a child is still in danger is doublespeak. The faceless branch operative will discuss/persuade with the two drone elders that have phoned them whether the child is still in danger and in my experience try to parry elders who want to report.

I had a case of neglect where I wanted to report. I dutifully spoke to the branch with another elder. The branch drone did his best to dissuade us from going to the authorities and said it would be better if a family member outside the immediate family circle reported.

I said there was no chance of that happening because dopey jw granny was more worried the child would be taken into care from her thick (physically) abusive son and D-i-L.

After the phone call the other elder said we should leave it in Jehovah's hands. I just privately went to child protection services who respected my confidentiality and sent social workers in to assess.

Unfortunately there are not many elders who are waking up and going rogue on WT to do what is best for the kids.

GOOGLE the Roman Catholic child protection policy (UK anyway)and see how this once derided religion has leap frogged JW's in this area. They categorically state that they ALWAYS report.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Even if the elders have no legal duty to report an accusation to the authorities, the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses will instruct the elders to report the matter if a minor is still in danger of abuse or there is some other valid reason.

So basically it should only be reported if there is a danger of the child being molested again. Don't bother if it's just a one-off. Or there's been lots of occasions but it's not expected to happen again. Bastards.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Did not the ARC identify over 1000 cases of child sexual abuse cases investigated by the Elders with their in-house judicial committees and not one of them was ever reported to the police or any child protection authorities ?

This is a fact that cannot be disputed .over a period of what 40-50 years ?

And remember their are three Elders on a Judicial Committee 3 times 1000 cases equals 3000 Elders who failed in their obligation to look after the most vulnerable of their flock the CHILDREN

Shame on them .

• tiki
    tiki

Why are they so stubborn about complying with the normal process of calling appropriate authorities? Why so adamant about protecting the criminal and allowing the child to suffer? Seriously what gain is it for them to continue to be so hell bent in their arrogance?

• nugget
    nugget

The quote is from the child protection policy.

Firstly the Elders are instructed to consult the branch not the police. The branch will tell them if the law demands they report it if not they are not obligated to do so. The balance is that they don't. No change really.

They can tell the authorities if the child is deemed to be in danger so in theory if the matter has come to the attention of the elders then they may feel that the child is no longer in danger since the parents are aware and will take precautions. If the abuser is a parent then they may feel that if the other parent is aware then they will take responsibility for the safety of the child. The policy states that the parents have the responsibility to protect the child not the elders.

The policy also calls child abuse a sin not a crime. It should say that child abuse is a crime and should be reported to the authorities on every occasion. The elders can then deal with the spiritual aspect if they wish but the police will be able to carry out the investigation and prosecution.

The policy is extremely weak and not fit for purpose. No other organisation would be able to get away with this approach. The bottom line is children attend meetings, they are encouraged to fully participate in congregation activities and make a commitment to the organisation as early as possible therefore they have a right to expect that the adults overseeing congregation matters will take safeguarding seriously.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Even if the elders have no legal duty to report an accusation to the authorities, the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses will instruct the elders to report the matter if a minor is still in danger of abuse or there is some other valid reason.

Apparently a case of child abuse isn't right away a valid reason to contact the authorities?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit