What to expect at a JW funeral

by lovinglife 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good quotes by Garybuss. They show how cold and impersonal jw funerals can be. Why is a eulogy so "inappropriate"? they never bother to even answer.

• DocBob
    DocBob

JW funerals, like public talks and weddings are done from an outline supplied by the WTS. Here is the outline for funerals:

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED (Use any that apply and are appropriate.)
    Details regarding age, birth, when married, and so forth
    By whom the deceased is survived
    Dedication record, including privileges of service
    Exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Eccl. 7:1)

THE HOPE THE DECEASED ENTERTAINED
    Worshiped Jehovah, the God of wisdom, justice, love, power
    Had faith in Jesus Christ (Acts 4:12)
    Appreciated God's purpdse regarding earth (Gen. 1:28)
    Sure to be realized (Isa. 11:9; 55:10, 11; Rev. 21:4)

Why good people die
    Disobedience of Adam (-Gen. 3:19; contrast with Genesis 2:7.)
    Offspring inherited deat6 (Rom. 5:12)

Condition of the dead
    Soul is mortal (Ezek 18:4, 20)
    Dead are unconscious (Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 3:19; 9:5, 10)
    The resurredion hope
    Made possible by sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Matt. 20:28)
    Christ's resurrection a guarantee (1 Cor. 15:22, 23)
    God uses Jesus to raise the dead (John 5:28, 29)
    For the anointed, resurrection is to heavenly life (1 Cor. 15:51-54; Rev. 20:4, 6)
    "Other sheep" resurrected to life in earthly Paradise (Luke 23:43; John 10:16)
    Armageddon survivors can hope to see the deceased one again soon
    Others too are in line for resurrection (Ads 24:15)

WHY IT IS GOOD TO GO TO HOUSE OF MOURNING
    Can comfort the bereaved; loss is mutual
    Take to heart uncertainty of life (Ps. 90:12; Eccl. 7:2)
    Makes us think about how we are using our life

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE
    While living, make good name with Jehovah God (Eccl. 7:1)
    Lay up treasures in heaven (Matt. 6:19-21)
    One way is to take zealous part in witness work, if qualified (Matt. 24:14; 28:19, 20)
    In this way and by godly conduct, we contribute to sanctification of Jehovah's name
    (Prov. 27:11)
    Resurrection hope an incentive to learn and do divine will(l Cor. 15:58)

(Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness
    concerning the truth. Good balance should be observed in this regard. Doctrinal points can be
    presented as beliefs of the deceased, which served as motivation for him. Purpose of talk is to
    uphold Jehovah God as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the
    bereaved. Use of a song such as No. 102 (53) or 187 (93) is optional. A brief prayer at the close
    is fitting When arrangement is made to go to the grave, it is well to consider quite briefly the
    hope through the Kingdom, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and
    1 Corinthians 15:5413-57. This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for
    the resurrection hope, which is of great comfort. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes.)

Printed in U.S.A.
    S-3 11/90

• rocketman
    rocketman
    (Note: Instead of eulogizing the deceased, use the material in this outline to give a fine witness
    concerning the truth.

Yep, can't be eulogizing now, can we?

I remember when I used to have one of those outlines. I gave two funeral talks and in both cases tried to say nice stuff about the life of the person, their likes and interests, rather than just a couple of cold minutes telling people who had died and/or reading it off an obituary page. I know of a couple other talks in which the speaker did the same thing, and at least tried to personalize it somewhat.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster
    My wife went to a memorial service for some boy who died and they were pushing their youth program.

When did the duds ever have a youth program? When I studied with them, they always bragged about how "they never banished youth to Sunday school" and treated people of all ages the same.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    When did the duds ever have a youth program?

No, they don't... I wasn't clear in my post but this was a non-JW memorial service.

• lovinglife
    lovinglife

The principle of being balanced applies also to the matter of eulogizing the dead. At funeral services, Jehovah's Witnesses strive to comfort the bereaved. (2-Corinthians 1:3-5) A formal program may include one or more speakers. But it would be inappropriate to convert the occasion into a long parade of eulogizers extolling the deceased.

Wow! So in other words its inappropriate to go on about the person who's funeral it is in the first place...but its appropriate to convert the occasion (take advantage) to preach to people. Talk about controlling. I had asked my mom what music they had picked (a favorite song) but no...its a song from the songbook. Figures. I have to keep my to a minimum.

My concern is not for myself since I was never baptized but for my sibling who is inactive and is being shunned by my mom. Granted this funeral is out-of town in another state but with 2 relatives being elders etc etc I just really hope that they do not treat her like an outcast. I guess I'll see what true, geniune, unconditional love and compassion they'll show.

I appreciate everyone's imput on this. It just reverifies my feelings toward this organization which, in turn, helps me get my sibling out. If only my mother would open her mind and take the blinders off. It brings tears to my eyes as I write this. But, I know I've helped at least one person know "the real truth" and that puts a smile back on my face.

I thank Simon for this forum...and all who post here.

• lovinglife
    lovinglife

P.S. I'll let ya'll know how it went next week.

• woodland
    woodland

I went to my Grandfathers funeral last year. It was the first time I had stepped in a KH since I left (7 years ago), so I was bricking it, but I wanted to be there for my Gramps, and to support my Nan. My Grandfather came from a massive family, and not all his brothers and sister were/are witnesses. Two of his brothers (not JWs) walked out half way through because they were disgusted that the speaker talked about Gramps for 3 minutes (literally, I timed it), and then proceeded to move on to the resurrection hope etc.

And one thing that I must share: after the service a PO came up to me, and said ?I?m not, not going to say Hello to you, so Hello?. I couldn?t believe that someone said that to me at my Grandfathers funeral. Surely it would have been better for him to shun me, like he?s supposed to than that. What was I supposed to say, Thanks for saying Hello, I?m very grateful!!! My husband was livid and marched me out of there anyway. He then called my Mum (a JW) and told her that he was disgusted by the behaviour of the Witnesses at my Grandfathers funeral. Obviously, she/they didn?t have a leg to stand on!!!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Like hungry bitches, they return to their doctrinal vomit whenever they have a captive audience. I'll bet they have never analyzed how many attendees ever become interested in Jdubdum from their "witnessing". Frankly, I was embarrassed as a dub for what went on. When my brother died, I walked out of the funeral right in the middle of the "sermon". Glad I did it as I met a person outside that became a friend with whom I still correspond. Awh! the Karma!

caveman

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

My grandmother died about three years ago and it was a very traumatic for me, if not a turning point in my life. For many years, I had been happy living my "disfellowshipped life", not having to think much of my family shunning me as I lived so far from them, anyway. When hearing word of my grandmother's death (we had been very close before her dementia had set in), all the bad feelings and fear that the JW's instilled in me when I was a child came rushing back.

Parallel to Lovinglife's story, my grandmother had been "inactive" for many, many years and was a JW in name only. She stopped attending the KH several years, even before her mind started to go. However, she was a very kind and loving woman and had many friends over the years (JW and Non-JW). Her funeral was not held at the KH, but at the funeral home. My step-uncle (who is an elder) gave the sermon, which I was not too happy about. He has always been a very cold man and did not feel he was the person to put Grandma into the ground. But, I had no choice. He did talk several minutes about my Grandma's life and how many people loved her. Of this, I was grateful. He did, however, turn it into a JW recruiting sermon and my husband (never a JW) had many questions afterwards. He was especially confused that there was no mention of the after-life.

Ironically, my grandmother's funeral was in Indiana.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit