The emotionally manipulative techniques JW families use.

by stuckinarut2 23 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I am really disturbed by some methods that JW family members try and use to emotionally manipulate us back into the organization.

One of our fellow posters here has had a family member send several photos of them as a child either out witnessing, and at an assembly.

No words - just those pictures.

It seems such an infantile and manipulative technique to employ?!

Do they think that we will all simply ignore the logical and factual reasons we no longer attend, just because we see some sentimental picture? Do they not see that this actually may reinforce our understanding that we were raised as children in a high-control religious group where we had to please our parents. A group where our worth and value as people was linked to our "spiritual" activities??

It is classic brainwashing!

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

It's no different to the emotionally deranged phone call @silentbuddha got from his mother, accusing him of breaking his promise to "one of Christ's brother's" back when he was a nervous teenager by Freddy Franz's deathbed.

"Do they not see that this actually may reinforce our understanding that we were raised as children in a high-control religious group where we had to please our parents"?

My parents successfully conquered my child brain. Bravo. That's all my mother has to be proud of. Consider the images below. The degree of pride one would feel for the youths depicted is purely based on what side of the propagandistic organization/regime we are on. There's nothing universally heart-warming or beneficial about what these youths have been honed into.

• zeb
    zeb

Perhaps you might send in reply some photos of yourselves at dinner, out at the beach, bushwalking or a snap or two at work with all happy smiley faces

The photos thing you mention sounds like the work of the wt mother or 'dragon-class' who have no other interest but butting in on others lives and who never see their offspring as other than children.

• sir82
    sir82

Do they think that we will all simply ignore the logical and factual reasons we no longer attend, just because we see some sentimental picture?

Yes, they really do think that.

People don't remain JWs for intellectual reasons. At this point, it is virtually 100% emotional appeal (or blackmail).

Since emotional appeal works so well for them, they think it will work on you.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow Zeb! your description of "Dragon-Class" is priceless!

The person in question that prompted my post IS indeed a "dragon"...

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

They want you back in but it has to be on their terms. Instead of being attracted by warmth and kindness, they need you to be desperate for some form of association. In a way it's rather like the way some folk operate on FB when they're trying to make a political point; they keep upping the ante with more and more extremism in the hope that some mud will stick to the wall. Nuts.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

Like we had that convention - 2015? The one where they released the Return to Jehovah brochure?

A brother came down to see my husband (I was still attending at the time) and he stood on our front step trying to imitate Mark Sanderson saying with his arms outstretched to my husband 'come home brother, come home.'

It's all about emotional appeal. Get you back in and then now we've got you back - you obey us or else.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

While the emotional manipulation that we become subjected to upon leaving is, obviously, in large part due to explicit encouragement of manipulative tactics from the cult (i.e. shunning, telling people "we miss you" all the time, only calling when there's some special meeting we're supposed to go to, etc) I suspect that another significant component is just the level of emotional immaturity that the cult fosters in people in order to control them. Things like the culture of "stumbling" teaches people to blame others for their emotions - if someone does something that's not prohibited and you have a negative emotional response, they've stumbled you. Their advice for dealing with strong emotions is also terrible - essentially JWs are told to push their emotions aside and wait for god to fix it. So, instead of learning to take responsibility for their emotions and face/address them head-on, a culture of hiding their own emotions from themselves and blaming others for any negative feelings arises.

All this comes into full swing when they deal with people that have left. They refuse to acknowledge that they're sad because they're being artificially restricted from seeing someone and take responsibility for their own choices and feelings - instead they feel a bad feeling and blame the supposed proximate cause (which, by habit, is another person) and that person becomes labeled as bad. Then, when they engage in the instinct to seek empathy, they're so out of touch with their emotions that they can't tell you how they're feeling and take responsibility for it - instead they simply try to make you feel how their feeling via emotionally manipulative letters, phone calls, emails, etc. And because they've already labeled you as 'bad' and 'guilty' they'll refuse to acknowledge their immature behavior even if it's clearly pointed out to them because they're on "god's side" so they can't possibly be even partially wrong in the situation.

As I'm getting out more into the world and interacting with a range of new people, I've run into some other sorts of very controlling people outside of the JW cult - the more exposure to this sort of thing I get, the easier it is to see how a controlling cult-like system could spring up completely unintentionally out of a combination of emotional immaturity, insecurity and veiled narcissism. Some people just learn subconsciously that they can get people to do what they want that way, and don't even realize they're doing it. With JWs it's explicitly trained into them, but that doesn't mean they're any more aware of what they're doing.

So, while I refuse to have people in my life that are going to treat me in such manipulative ways, more than anything I feel sorry for these people that are floating through life with the perception that their emotional state is completely out of their control - being blown about by the winds of the world around them. We're all quite lucky to have escaped that.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@OneEyedJoe What you just wrote... please believe me when I say that this might be the single most important and helpful (and well articulated) things I've ever read on this forum - or in any book. I actually had to go into full screen mode to I got snapshot your comment to save forever. Thank you for taking the time out to share this fantastically well thought out, mind-expanding comment. I feel like a new person just taking in that information.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Haha well I'm glad my inane ramblings could be of use to someone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit