am i overreacting?

by freeandcontent 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Welcome.

When it is YOUR child, you are in control. Do not give them the control.

If they are a sneaky bunch, then you need to be aware of what they are doing. Tell your mother how you feel. I know it's painful if she stops contact. Like someone on here mentioned the other day, who does that? That is conditional love. Not the kind of love a genuine family/friend gives.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Hi, and welcome to this forum.

I would respectfully ask my parents to show you first the video to see if you approve of your child viewing it. A lot of the videos are very good lessons about how to get along with others and behavioral stuff.

Also be prepared to counter the indoctrination with reasoning a child can understand, like how fun certain celebrations are, etc.

If parents do not heed your words, there is always strictly supervised or minimum visitations.

DY

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My question really is am I overreacting?

Hell no, your mother did not respect your own inherent beliefs and disregarded them and tried to allure attention to her cult by using cartoons onto your own child.

If my mother did that to my daughter I would tear a strip off of her big time.

....... but my mother wouldn't do that she knows my personal position on the JW faith and respects that at is.

• mamacita29
    mamacita29

Sometimes I want to just ring the neck of some of my stupid JW family but I know from experience that will only harden their conviction that they have "the truth."

You need to drop truth bombs on them. In general conversation ask them if they saw Geoffy Jackson and what they think about the overlapping generation theory. I bet you they can't exSPLANE it. lololololol

• Giordano
    Giordano

No overreaction. I take it she brought the video's and waited for you to be out of the room and played them? If so........ she wants to start corrupting your child.

My wife and I left the JW's before out child was born we left over the blood issue and the sense that there was a deep corruption in the dogma and the organization itself.

We did not allow any witnessing to our son. We would not allow him to stay over at my Mom's while on business trips mainly because we had no way of knowing how she would respond blood wise if he was in an accident and rushed to the hospital. She believed all the reckless teachings of the JW's and I doubted if she would have put my son's health first should it come to that.

When my son was older..... 10 or so.... my Uber sister sent him a box filled with the new publications. He opened it and I asked him if he was interested in reading some of them. He said no then went into his room and played an 8 track of his favorite band......... Kiss. That concerned me.

It took two more years but I finally got him to listen to the Rolling Stones and he especially loved Sympathy for the Devil......

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would respectfully ask my parents to show you first the video to see if you approve of your child viewing it. A lot of the videos are very good lessons about how to get along with others and behavioral stuff. ~ Doubtfully Yours

I assume you're trying to walk on eggshells and keep communication open with your Mum. I would be careful to over-react and say anything toooooo negative against JWs. But, I think the recommendation quoted above is reasonable and you can give reasons to Mum that are not too offensive, for example, I really do not think children should be exposed to violent pictures of people being killed such as are in the Bible Story Book. And, I do not want her to think that all people except JWs are "bad" and going to be killed by God, because YOU do not believe that. (Pin your mother down as to if she REALLY believes that. Most JWs will avoid the issue by saying "Only Jehovah is judge of that". Then you can counter that you agree and really don't think Jah will destroy "good people" such as . . . . [non-JW family members who are clearly "good people"].

Your daughter will be exposed to lots of ideas as she goes to school, plays with friends, etc. You'll need to explain to her that many people believe many different things when it comes to religion. Even Grandma's crazy religion.

Doc

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would respectfully ask my parents to show you first the video to see if you approve of your child viewing it. A lot of the videos are very good lessons about how to get along with others and behavioral stuff. ~ Doubtfully Yours

I assume you're trying to walk on eggshells and keep communication open with your Mum. I would be careful to over-react and say anything toooooo negative against JWs. But, I think the recommendation quoted above is reasonable and you can give reasons to Mum that are not too offensive, for example, I really do not think children should be exposed to violent pictures of people being killed such as are in the Bible Story Book. And, I do not want her to think that all people except JWs are "bad" and going to be killed by God, because YOU do not believe that. (Pin your mother down as to if she REALLY believes that. Most JWs will avoid the issue by saying "Only Jehovah is judge of that". Then you can counter that you agree and really don't think Jah will destroy "good people" such as . . . . [non-JW family members who are clearly "good people"].

Your daughter will be exposed to lots of ideas as she goes to school, plays with friends, etc. You'll need to explain to her that many people believe many different things when it comes to religion. Even Grandma's crazy religion.

Doc

The greatest revenge is living a happy & successful life!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Welcome.

i echo the comments steve2 said above.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    yeah, what steve said!!
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Welcome.

Ensure that you have guardians lined up and a will in place in case you pass before your parents/siblings or beautiful baby daughter will be raised JW.

Nothing wrong with setting boundaries, gently now but less so if they are abusing your gentle kindness. If you lose her over this, then you'd lose her in any case. Best wishes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit