Have Yall Begun Your Christmas Shopping Yet?

by Frannie Banannie 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I have.....Got a set of gold-plated silverware for daughter and s-i-l (they already know, but don't know about individual gifts...heheheh)....jeans for my g/daughters and some Karaoke CD's in the planning....don't know yet what I'll get for ol' Crabby Pants...(the ex that I'm watching over cause he's physically/mentally challenged from stroke)....

I like to get this shtuff outta the way EARLY....can't stand that last minute hysteria...so....

How're yall doing with your plans for Christmas?

Frannie B

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Pretty good! I decided that if I'm going to celebrate Christmas I want to be someone who has most of the shopping done before Thanksgiving. So far, so good . . . .

Nina

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

In my typical miserly fashion, I have purchased a few new lengths of chain for Mr. Marley, and a bowl of gruel for myself.

• franklin J
    franklin J

we are still doing the Halloween thing, but thank you for the reminder. I have not done any shopping yet!

My 12 year old daughter has already put in her request this xmas for a cell phone!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Pretty good! I decided that if I'm going to celebrate Christmas I want to be someone who has most of the shopping done before Thanksgiving. So far, so good . . . .

Good for you, Nina! Me, too!

In my typical miserly fashion, I have purchased a few new lengths of chain for Mr. Marley, and a bowl of gruel for myself.

awwww, SFJ....do you not have fam and/or friends to celebrate with? I was isolated from everyone for about 7 yrs after deborganizing, too.....Maybe you could get in on the "secret santa" list....I think there's a thread about that somewhere on here....

I have not done any shopping yet! My 12 year old daughter has already put in her request this xmas for a cell phone!

LOL@Franklin! I wonder which cell phone service has the best deal.....I know Cingular give you 400 minutes with rollover to the next month of those minutes you don't use each month for up to a year at a time, but I don't know what their group rates are for families with cell phones....

I'm kinda stumped this year on what to buy old Crabby Pants (Country Girl nicknamed him)....He's my ex....his second wife dumped him after he retired from the Navy and had a stroke which has impaired him physically and slowed him down somewhat mentally....I live here with him and "watch his back" , making sure he turns off running faucets, closes the garage door and locks up at night...and see that he pays his bills and eats regularly, because he's not real sharp handling his finances....He's a dyed-in-the-wool American Patriot (retired from Navy), loves tools and gadgets (doesn't matter if he can't use 'em)....in the past, I've bought him sweaters, jackets (he doesn't ever wear 'em), but he DID love the gold nugget watch I got him for his b'day this year....and he loves to eat.....any ideas?????

Frannie B

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

awwww, SFJ....do you not have fam and/or friends to celebrate with? I was isolated from everyone for about 7 yrs after deborganizing, too.....Maybe you could get in on the "secret santa" list....I think there's a thread about that somewhere on here....

Actually, Frannie, I do have a special someone. He has been my partner for over 5 years. Neither of us are big on Christmas, though (he has no ties to the JWs).

My grandparents were married for 73 years. Each Christmas Eve, my grandfather would go to the local card shop in his New Jersey town and buy my grandmother a festive greeting card. Then he would go next door to the bank and get a crisp, uncirculated $20.00 bill and insert it in the card, addressing it to my grandmother. On Christmas morning, he would hand her the card and wish her a Merry Christmas. She would then open it, take the $20.00 bill out of the card, hand it back to my grandfather, and wish him a Merry Christmas. That was their entire celebration!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Frannie, I bought my dad a lovely figurine from a Betty's Attic (there's an online store too) catalog of a WWII sailor on a park bench with his arm around a girl, dressed in 1940's style. My mom and dad met on the beach at Atlantic City in 1948, when he was in the Navy, so that was something special to him. They have a lot of military memorabilia, so you might find something there that ol' Crabby Pants would like.

You're a sweetie to take care of him.

Nina

• shera
    shera

I always start in September,I cannot stand the rush when it gets closer to christmas.I'm not a mall person when it is busy.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I have some things bought, which is good. We had to buy a new furnace this month ($3000) so money will be a bit tight this year.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Neither of us are big on Christmas, though (he has no ties to the JWs).

My grandparents were married for 73 years. Each Christmas Eve, my grandfather would go to the local card shop in his New Jersey town and buy my grandmother a festive greeting card. Then he would go next door to the bank and get a crisp, uncirculated $20.00 bill and insert it in the card, addressing it to my grandmother. On Christmas morning, he would hand her the card and wish her a Merry Christmas. She would then open it, take the $20.00 bill out of the card, hand it back to my grandfather, and wish him a Merry Christmas. That was their entire celebration!

Well, gawrsh, SFJ ....I guess it takes even a small group of ppl to make it more of a celebration, dudnit? Thanks for sharing your g/parents Christmas tradition....what a sweet one! How did yall celebrate with them in the past?

Frannie, I bought my dad a lovely figurine from a Betty's Attic (there's an online store too) catalog of a WWII sailor on a park bench with his arm around a girl, dressed in 1940's style. My mom and dad met on the beach at Atlantic City in 1948, when he was in the Navy, so that was something special to him. They have a lot of military memorabilia, so you might find something there that ol' Crabby Pants would like. You're a sweetie to take care of him.

Thanks for the idea and the "tip", Nina.....He DOES love his military memoribilia (has it hanging all over the walls) and it shouldn't be difficult to pick something he doesn't have on display already...heheheh

I talked him into moving back home here to the house he grew up in when I discovered he was isolated in an assisted living center out in California....it gives him a sense of autonomy to be on "his own" and a feeling of "autonomy" that he's in control of his life and circumstances....I realized from working in home health care profession how important it is to people who've been deprived of some of their abilities to function as they did in the past....to experience a sense of independence...of autonomy...of being in control of their lives....it's the most difficult thing to give up as we grow older, which is why older ppl become so "crabby"....Country Girl gave him his nickname the day I was in the bathtub and he set off the burglar alarm and kept it going in hopes I'd jump outta the tub nekkid and run hysterically thru the house (he DOES have his games).....when I "called" him on it, he screamed obscene names at me (prolly cause he was frustrated it didn't work and was embarrassed that I knew what he was up to)....LOL!

Frannie B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit