Giving up smoking..(again)

by morty 16 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

Its one of the hardest things I have attempted to do......besides the patch (which I am starting) and antipressants is there any thing you have tryed or heard of? I do want to give this habit up so much for myself and my family......anything would help.

mortons68

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Hey sweetheart, not sure, but I know someone who was a 2-3 pack a day smoker (Export 'A greens).

He went on the patch, and then took Zyban.

He said it helped immensely.

And darlin', I'm in Ontario, so I know that that is the name of the meds for helping folks quit smoking.

Not sure if it's an anti-depressant. But anyways, that's the name of the meds that my buddy took.

Zyban. (crossing fingers)

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

((((((((((morton)))))))))

Try to find this book....."Smoking---The Artificial Passion", by David Krough. Not your typical anti-smoking lecture. It's one of the most honest books I've read. I know it's not anything "physically" helpful, but you know what they say about mind over matter!

Excerpt from binder.....

"Neither a gloomy medical lecture nor another trendy how-to-quit guide, this book is witty, feisty, and provocative."

I wish you luck....

April

• Panda
    Panda

Morton, How wonderful !!! Just remember that even if you end up puffing away again you will have x-number of days sans the tar and nicotine. You'll do fine once you get on the right combo of meds. Relying on only one medication won't work, you'll need the back up (so I've been told).

Good Luck! Panda

• morty
    morty

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE SO FAR GUYS.......I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE POSTED THIS UNDER "SUPPORT"

LORD KNOWS I KNOW I AM GOING TO NEED ALOT OF SUPPORT ON THIS ONE......THE WITHDRAWS ARE ALREADY STARTING,AND

IT HAS ONLY BEEN 2 HOURS..(.ALREADY HAVE TROUBLE SLEEPING.) NEVER QUIT QUITING,THATS WHAT I KEEP TELLING MYSELF

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I AM DRINKING WATER,WATER,WATER......IT SUPPOSE TO CLEAN THE TOXINS FASTER OUT OF YOUR BODY.

DONT KNOW IF THERE IS ANY TRUTH TO THE MATTER BUT,I WILL TRY ANYTHING ONCE....

THANKS A TRILLION.........

MORTONS68

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

I know its hard. One thing that helped me is to go some where that smokeing is going on and then come homme and see how much of it is still in your clothes, it stinks and if I go to bed with a tee shirt on that has smoke on it I will get a bad head ache.

• reboot
    reboot

You said you would and you're actually doing it! i'm impressed!

I gave up around 4 years ago now- and hav'nt touched one since.

I still get desperate some times though, especially if i'm out and have had a few drinks. which is the time you simply have to decide to stay stopped or give in...

I took up obsessive exercise (so was still fulfilling my naturally addictive all or nothing personality )

and it's difficult to run if you smoke; you can't cheat 'cos if you start again as you feel like you're going to die. .....for me, the desire to breathe is stronger!

So I guess i'd say find something to replace the cigs with that makes them less attractive.

aaaaggghhhh; now i'm thinking about smoking.......DAMN

• Navigator
    Navigator

I smoked 2+ packs a day for more than 30 years. Got hooked when cigs were only $.15 per pack in the military. I had a really rough time quiting and had a serious relapse for a couple of years. It is only now that I realize how bad I must have smelled to non-smokers. It helped that no one in my family smoked (all JWs). I found Smoke Watchers International Program helpful the first time I quit, but just went "cold turkey" finally. Count every day without smoking a victory. Review your motivation everyday.

I don't want to stink

When you can't breathe, nothing else matters.(American Lung Association)

I want to feel better about myself.

I don't want to be an addict or thought of as one by others.

Put the money you save by not smoking in a savings account and designate it for something you really want like a vacation to Hawaii or Alaska. At current prices you will have a sizeable "kitty" in no time at all.

• Mutz
    Mutz

I found the secret to giving up smoking was just not wanting TO smoke anymore. I know it sounds ridiculous but I can honestly say once I had made my mind up I was stopping that was it. I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore. I got the momentary 'pangs' when I sometimes caught a whiff of smoke but that was it. I honestly think that giving up smoking is 99% mental. Good luck with quitting, you know you can do it! :)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Morton, I'm working on this as well. I was able to cut down quite well yesterday. I'm taking Zyban, but I'm not going up to the 2 pills a day because it causes my heart to go whacko. The hardest I find is after meals. I've been working on smoking half cigarettes to help cut my nicotine level down. Also I found, of all things that drinking root beer works very well for me. I have no problem replacing smoking with drinking root beer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit