Giving up smoking..(again)

by morty 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Emma
    Emma

(((((Morton)))))

A co-worker who is quitting has told everyone to ask him how he's doing; he thinks he'll be too embarassed to to back to smoking and have to admit it to a friend. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing and what we can do to help.

Emma

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Morton, I was a 3-pk a day smoker when I quit one time....cold turkey.....besides the meds and shtuff you can use, this is what helped me....I made myself stay busy DOING something that involved my mind and my hands....something that was intriguing to me and captured my interest.....VOILA! It worked for me....perhaps this would be the little bit of extra help you could use to ensure that you stay too busy to smoke....

Hope this helps,

Frannie B

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

(((morton)))

Yeah, I was a 3 pk aday smoker towards the end of 14 yrs of smoking. I went cold turkey. I was facing health issues. Like having tubes up the roof of my mouth to drain sinuses. One of the ER docs explain the process. No way I was going to be put through hell.

Reality smoking is one of the grueling addictions to get off. I knew I could'nt do this alone. I asked for support from my job, friends, family and support groups. To keep myself accountable.

I also used a 12 step smoking group. the program was set up differently than the AA structure.

What blew me over once I got beyond the denial. I used smokes to not feel my feelings. I am smoke free now for 6 yrs. I have my moments every now and then. It stems to not want to feel whats going on. And it passes.

So I support you in whatever way you choose to take care of yourself. It's ok if you want to rant and rave by PMing me.

Old Crow

• Sassy
    Sassy

Well I never started, so I don't have a clue about tips for stopping. I am here for you however if you need me. You know how to find me!

• morty
    morty

woohooooo.....13 hours smoke free.........I know it is not much,but I am I mean I was, a 2 pack a day smoker................now,I need to go back to sleep.........seems to ease the tention...has anyone of sleeping to get over a addiction?...might have to do with not sleeping last night though.....................thanks for all the support guys.......

smokey......

mortons68

• Panda
    Panda

Morton, When I quit it was because I wanted to get baptized (I know stupid me) Anyway, I took a trip home to my smoking family (all except my mom) and inhaled as we sat around the kitchen table and drank tea and schmoozed. My inlaws also smoke like chimney's so I probably didn't actually quit until I left them. But I didn't light a cigarette, which was good (right?)

Sleeping is also a good way to quit

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes Me too.I smoked two packs unfiltered Export A -Quit to get baptised. It was the hardest thing I have ever done.. But what I did.?????. was Dont tell anyone!!!! They will all try to catch you.. Put both hands on the cup or glass when drinking- Take lots of DEEP breathes..Keep busy-I( had the cleanest house when I was quitting.) I know >>I have said this before -But I must repeat it. !!!! My hubby smoked a lot... He said he would NEVER quit & didnt want to. He ended up with lung cancer- but the horrible thing was-it was 1 year & three months suffering before he died.I looked after him until the day before he died -- Then at the end his LUNGS came up like liver!!!!!! Big Chunks...filled his mouth so I had to pull it out of his mouth!!!!! If this dont make you quit.....Then nothing will. Sorry Morton. I KNOW you can do it!!!! Lots of walks- fresh air make it your lifes work at this point...( O.K. So you didnt want to hear it.But Grannies do these kind of things. (((((HUG)))))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit