My online debate with a few JWs

by Wolfgirl 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

The other day, I asked for help finding some info regarding the flip-flops on conscientious objecting. A big thank you to those who helped me out.

Quick background:

I'm a Star Wars fan. So shoot me. I'm not one of those people who dresses up or anything. I just enjoy watching the films and talking about them from time to time. So a couple of years ago, I joined the official Star Wars site, and have been a moderator of the site for most of that time. (Just so you don't wonder why I'm linking to the site.)

So there's a forum there for non-SW talk, and someone started a topic about JWs, coz they were curious. My screen name there isn't the same, but I'm sure you'll be able to tell when I join in.

One request...if you feel so inclined, please don't sign up to make fun of them. That board is very strict when it comes to stuff like that, so if you do feel like commenting, please keep it polite. I don't want to get in trouble with the guys from Lucasfilm (my "superiors")...they won't like it if they feel I've directed others to that site merely to antagonise or make fun of a group of people. Thanks.

So here's the debate...even though they say they'll never return, I know they've been reading it.

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jsp?forum=16&thread=142300

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    I'm a Star Wars fan. So shoot me.

Okay, as you wish.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I love Star Wars. I wish the KU band would play the Star Wars Empire music at the Football games like they once did.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Looks like the thread is locked.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Interesting discussion. Bravo, Wolfgirl

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Thanks.

No, the thread isn't locked. The one above it (currently) is.

• bebu
    bebu

Took me a while to read it all...

GREAT JOB, and a very civil board! It is gratifying to see that several people switched from protecting their JW friends' feelings ("boo hoo, I'm being persecuted") to having the shock of recognizing the WT as a really vicious cult. 180 degree change.

I'm sure that the JWs on the board will be looked at a bit differently now, too. The way they signaled each other not to talk too much (referring only to the WT website)... The way they refused to comment further, and their lame responses until they all fell silent also shouted "I'm in a cult!", I'm sure. ...

This is how I think the WT is going to be defeated, when thru discussion boards like these, the "truth" will really be made known. An inspiration, I hope, to others who are on different boards.

bebu

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

WG, Excellent! I suggest folks here take the time and read the link. It's well worth it. It was kind of like putting frogs in a blender. Only in this case the "frogs" were Witnesses, and the "blender" words from their own beliefs -- expertly presented by Wolfgirl. JamesT (edited to add: I have never put frogs in a blender)

• shiloh
    shiloh

Wow. They (the JW's) were all over the place until some quotes from WT material were posted to the discussion. Then they just vanished. POOF!!

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Hee-hee! Thank you...it's been quite amusing, actually. My athiest husband is getting quite a giggle out of it. I've gotten emails from several people about it, thanking me for "educating" them. One woman told me of her abuse at the hands of a JW relative.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Reading, reading...this is great! Sounds like there are two of you from here posting on that thread...

I cannot believe I once sounded like those kids. I wish I could apologize to everyone I proselytized to.

Odrade

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit