Gordon Lightfoot

by RAYZORBLADE 54 Replies latest social entertainment

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Wasn't he in that movie.........Thunderbolt and Lightfoot?????

• Mac
    Mac

Damnit Ray....that's it...I'm moving to Canada!!.........lol mac :)

• Mac
    Mac

Well in our book he is not first that is Harry Chapin: Tangled up puppet/ Dance band on the Titanic etc

Yes.......Harry was amazing as well......."Caroline' is one of my all time favorites.

Sadly, both he and Croce died far too young!

mac

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

I grew up in MT, so Gordon was a STAPLE for me in my turbulent 20's. I equate him with falling deeply in love for the first time, as it was my lover who introduced me to the bard. I was overjoyed to hear "Sundown" being played in my local coffee shop yesterday with a 20-something behind me singing along!

Ah YES!!! HE IS BACK!!! and more popular than ever! YEAH!!!

mobbie

• Makena1
    Makena1

One of my fav's is "Seven Island Suite" I think from the Sundown Album.

Have not listened to Gordon in a long time - just might dust off the LP's tonight.

Thanks

Mak

• marriedtodamob
  • xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Ray. Good thread. Gordon's music lives on, as all great composers do.

I swear the man was born with a guitar in his hands, and that ability to write, play and sing as few today can do.

And when I read this post, I immediately harkened back to Jim Croce, as others have mentioned.

And another great, though often ignored .... Bruce Coburn.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

oh and yeah Tres:

The first time I fornicated, Gordon Lightfoot sang in the background...coming from that brand new 8 track player.

Good Choice.

• Mac
    Mac

Powers chatter in high places

Stir up eddies in the dust of rage

mac(set me to Pacing the Cage)

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well, I haven't visited this thread in ages, but just an FYI, Mr. Lightfoot, celebrated his birthday a couple of days ago.

As has been said here several times, overall, he's still a wonderful Canadian singer/songwriter.

Thanks for all the responses.

"...only a go-go girl in love with someone who didn't care...only 21 she was, a young girl, just in from somewhere....."

And for you American fans, in that song, Michigan is mentioned.

"he is playing up in Michigan in a group they call the "Intended", with a kiss and a promise he was gone...the song was ended...but as she walks, she waits for him, the pavement is a shoulder for her tears....but in her heart she knows there is no way...she can hope to change him..."

I guess it shows, in some respects just how much we are intertwined: Ontario and Michigan.

Makes sense geographically, but I think there are deeper meanings.

If you've ever travelled to both Ontario and Michigan, you'll know what I mean.

Great Lakes: No kidding!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit