Gordon Lightfoot

by RAYZORBLADE 54 Replies latest social entertainment

• morty
    morty

I THINK HE IS RIGHT UP THERE WI TH ..CAT STEVENS......GREAT FOLK MUSIC.....ANYONE KNOW IF STEVENS WAS A JW?....OR JUST A LEGEND?........ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW THE TRUTH OF THAT MATTER?

MORTONS68

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I don't mind Gordon Lightfoot but I got tired of listening to him. You know with the regulations that a radio station played a percentage of Canaidan content, it was a choice of Gordon Lightfoot or Anne Murray. I got sick of hearing him every hour.

Will

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

MORTONS68

I THINK HE IS RIGHT UP THERE WI TH ..CAT STEVENS......GREAT FOLK MUSIC.....ANYONE KNOW IF STEVENS WAS A JW?....OR JUST A LEGEND?........ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW THE TRUTH OF THAT MATTER?

Cat Stevens converted to Islam and changed his name about 20 or so years ago.

Will

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I love Gordon Lightfoot! My favorites are Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind and Rainy Day People. If you like Lightfoot, what do you think of Jim Croce?

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Well in our book he is not first that is Harry Chapin: Tangled up puppet/ Dance band on the Titanic etc

But I do love Gordon Lightfoot a lot

My favorites are Sundown, If You Could Read My Mind and Rainy Day People.
    These are my favorite too..I love Jim Croce also

• freedom96
    freedom96

Love his music.

• Mac
    Mac

Well, I can remember a day back in 1974 when I was talking up my latest Uriah Heep and Savoy Brown album purchases (yeppers....albums, that's right......remember when music and medium pizzas came in the same size?) to a high school acquaintance. He asked if he could borrow them for a listen so I brought them in the next day. When I handed over the vinyl he pulled a couple of albums out of his locker and said I should give these a listen......the artist was Gordon Lightfoot and the titles: "Don Quixote" and "If You Could Read My Mind". I chuckled to myself...no way am I going to listen to some "folkie" drone on.....no sir, not me, long live rock and roll!!!

Over the weekend I decided I should at least listen two a couple of the tunes just out of courtesy as I knew he'd surely be inquiring about my impression of this balladeer that he was obviously more than just a little passionate about. I tossed the disk (not so compact) onto the turntable and lay down on my bed with my hands behind my head and gave my eyes a roll......but...... then the music began......and I was forever hooked. These weren't the kind of songs I'd expected from a "folk singer"...you know....the "we will not be moved", social consciousness and all of that type of stuff.....they weren't traditional in any way. These were very personal songs.....songs of loneliness, loss and love.....they were beautifully poetic and introspective and they hit a chord in this young heart.

Well, close to thirty years have passed and he still remains my favorite singer/songwriter to this day.....his songs serve as an anchor to memories, people, places and moments that have occupied a space in my life and they resonate just as intensely within me now as upon that first hearing.

An interesting thing (interesting to me anyway) happened a short while back. When my kids were young we frequently went on these family and group camping trips and we'd always listen to Lightfoot as we sat by the old campfire. My sons and their young friends would moan endlessly about this "crap" we were playing. This year we had a big hog roast at our place on the 4th of July and later in the evening we had all settled around a big roaring fire. I went back to the house to get some ice and found my oldest son rummaging around in my CD's. I asked him what he was looking for and he smiled, winked, squeezed my shoulder and said ....."It's a campfire, dad, I'm looking for Gordon...just isn't a fire without him". And his youthful buddies rolled their eyes and bitched and moaned...............

Ah...rambling here...better just end with with a song:

SPANISH MOSS

Let go darlin'
    I can feel the night wind call
    Guess I'd better go
    I like you more than half as much
    As I love your Spanish moss

Spanish moss hangin' down
    Lofty as the southern love we've found
    Spanish moss
    Keeps on followin' my thoughts around
    Georgia pine and Ripple wine
    Memories of Savannah summertime
    Spanish moss
    Wish you knew what I was sayin'

So I'm rollin' north thinkin'
    Of the way things might have been
    If she and I could have changed it all somehow

Spanish moss hangin' down
    Lofty as the sycamore you've found
    Spanish moss
    Keeps on followin' my thoughts around
    Georgia pine and Ripple wine
    Kisses mixed with moonshine and red clay
    Spanish moss
    Wish you knew what I was sayin'

So I'm rollin' north thinkin'
    Of the way things might have been
    If she and I could have changed it all somehow
    Let go darlin'
    I can feel the night wind call
    The devil take the cost
    I like the way your kisses flow and I love your Spanish moss

mac

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mac, an awesome song.

But WOW! what a post.

I owe you a case of .. whatever you like, you name it, it's on me dude!

Big Tex: yes, Jim Croce, I liked him too.

WP: yes, I know what you mean, but for me, growing up, my Mom would put on Gordon Lightfoot, and it would remind me of 'happier' times when we lived on the armed forces base.

Mac, thanks for that post. You outdid yourself.

on me!

• Mac
    Mac

BURP!!!!!!

mac

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mac: remember, that the rivers, lakes and seas are full of beer here.

No shortage, shall I get you another?

It's ON THE HOUSE dude!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit