Mass Resignations In Mormon Cult

by cofty 22 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Thousands of Mormons have simultaneously tendered their resignation from the cult following secret changes to the handbook that further discriminated against gay members and the children of gay couples.

"Last week secret revisions to the handbook for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was leaked to the public, sparking a furious backlash and ultimately resulting in the mass resignations." source...

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Jehovah's Witnesses disfellowship 60,000 members per year. That's 1,150 per week. I imagine many of them are simply "walking away". Maybe if they coordinated their efforts they could get a media release too.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How many?

I can foresee a time when it will be illegal to discriminate on sexuality even for churches. I wonder what the JWs and Mormons will do then?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Ah over 3500. Pretty good.
  • the girl next door
    the girl next door
    If sexual discrimination is enforced on all religions, it will be far more than JW and LDS affected. James White has predicted within 5 years religions that do not accommodate will lose their tax status. There will be a cover charge at the doors of churches and the masses will thin out drastically. Oddly, he looks forward to it.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

James White is quite unhinged. Bizarrely I had a lengthy exchange with him about the authenticity of the Ignatian epistles about twelve years ago. He's got a lot more famous since then. He'd probably not give me the time of day now.

I can see this happening in the UK and Europe before America.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Great. I wish something similar would happen in Jehovah-land
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    We need to revisit our da day post... especially in light of this.
  • Simon
    Simon

Mormons tend to be more professional and likely have networks they can use for communication, out of the control of the LDS.

The other important difference is each religion's claim to authority. They think they "had" a prophet who gave them their commands. The JWs think the current GB are speaking for god so JWs tend to be more controlled IMO.

Finally, the LDS are concentrated in Salt Lake City especially so getting a large group together has less logistical problems than with JW's who are not really concentrated in any one area.

Attacking their tax free status for discrimination but I personally don't believe it will happen - the evangelical base in the US is too large and too powerful politically to make it likely. The only way I can see it happening is if the Republican party completely implodes and the religious right ends up isolated and on their own.

Ultimately though, it's changes in general public opinion that will be their undoing. They will be increasingly seen as backward and will change of their own accord. Just as they abandoned their claim that black people are inferior, this will be given up too.

But that doesn't mean they won't find ways to promote their own ideals, however unfair or judgmental they are.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Wow. It doesn't make sense that at a time when gay people are much more accepted in secular society they would choose to take such a harsh stand, and not just against gays, but even their children. It sounds like their leaders are just as clueless as the GB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit