Life

by Wolfy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

My wife and I are re-doing our wills and it has led me to reflect alot on life. In making a will you are basically preparing for death and setting your house in order so that there is no confusion afterwards and your loved ones are looked after. I do plan on living to a ripe old age but in life things can happen and I could be dead tomorrow. I am struggling to deal with my own mortality and to define what I believe in. It's a very difficult and disturbing road for me to travel. Growing up as a Jehovah's Witness was full of ups and downs for me. The one thing I did not worry about was death. When discussing the topic with others I would just shrug and say I would be back in the New Order. No fears. Now...I think it will take me awhile to deal with and accept the stark reality of death. I have read the thread on mortality started by Shotgun and I know alot of people are having the same struggle as I am. It makes me feel a bit better knowing I am not alone.

I want to say thank you to few people that have helped me through some of the bumps in the road that I now travel.

To The Members of JWD- Thank you. You have shared your stories and experiences in life and in leaving the JW's. It has made an impression on me that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

To Simon-Thank you for providing this forum. You have provided a place for us all to discuss and to heal from our experiences in life and as JW's. I owe you alot.

To My Family On The Forum-You know who you are. I love both of you very much. You both mean so much to me and as family we will get through the pain the Org. has caused and is still causing us.

To Ray and Shera- Thank you for being true friends to me. You both have my love and respect. I am honoured having you both as friends.

Sitting here typing this I am crying. No I am not suicidal or anything like that. I have been doing alot of reflecting and I just wanted to tell everyone that I love them.

Wolfy

PS-To The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnessess- I despise you all. You have ruined and hurt so many people. I think you should be ashamed of yourselves. There are so many beautiful people enslaved to your organization. You dull their minds and hearts with your lies. If there is a God I hope he(she) makes you experience the pain that you have caused to so many people.

• little witch
    little witch

(((wolfy))))

We need to make out a will too. I have put it off, but I need to do it...

I am glad you have found comfort here. Yes there are many here who are important to us, even if it is in cyber-space.

Your post was so sweet and heartfelt, I wish you all the best. Hugs to your family too.

Little

• shera
    shera

Hi ((((((Wolfy)))))

I think of you often and I'm honoured to have you as my friend as well.Your a good man and I will always hope the best for you.

Take care

Heather

• shotgun
    shotgun

Hi Wolfy

My wife and I made out a will together which I plan to shred...I want part of my will to stipulate Cremation and no memorial talk given in a Kingdom Hall or by anyone not of my prior choosing. I want the talk to be about my love for my daughter and family not about JW BS.

Take care Wolfy

• shera
    shera

btt

• Valis
    Valis

Hey Wolfy..I don't look at it as preparing for death...its more like insulating those you love against the hardships that a death in the family can cause, especially if one isn't prepared for it.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Xandria
    Xandria

Wolfy,

I am glad to hear that you are taking the time to prepare for this. So your loved ones are taken care of instead of the WTS. Have you looked into a living trust ? Because it circumvents probate. No need for anyone to know what you are leaving to your heirs. Probate is really costly and a pain in the (_)_).

With a Trust you can back it up with a will for things like jewlery, furniture, burial wishes, even how a life insurance policy will be used (some use the life insurance policy pay off as payment for the rest of the house. So thier heirs own a house with a free title). Some food for thought.

X.

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

Thank you all for your considerate thoughts. I feel it is important to get my house in order. Even though my wife and I are fairly young we have to be prepared. If anything does happen our children will be fine financially. They will have a Trust with enough money for a University education and a home. The problem we are having now is deciding where our children will go if anything should happen. My wife and I do not agree on this matter and it is causing considerable strain. My wife's sister's are not stable enough in their lives to be a good choice. My wife talked to one of the elders and he said his family would take them if anything happened. I am not comfortable with that choice and I am not sure how to explain it to my wife.

I am a fader. My wife is a Dub although she is not as active as she used to be. I no longer carry the Blood card and I personally do not want a JW burial. I want to be cremated with my ashes scattered in the woods where I grew up. I only want a select few at my funeral and I don't want any mention of the Borg.

I have to say I have really found out who my friends and loved ones really are. JW's for the most part love conditionally. When the going gets tough or you don't share their beliefs anymore they scatter. It has made me realize how precious my family and friends are.

Wolfy

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Wolfy, this is an excellent post.

If, for nothing else, it should jog some people into seriously reconsidering their future, but moreso, their offspring: children/dependants.

It must be quite a psychological ordeal to be faced with this.

But I like Valis' comment.

It makes sense, and it's a loving way to look at our mortality.

For me, what I hope to do (should my soon to be niece/nephew enters this world) is make sure I can give them a little something, from Uncle Ray, that will be put to good use and make my brother's child feel remembered and their importance to our family, secured.

I will never have any children. No surprise to some of you, but still, I need to keep a watchful eye out for those whom are about to come.

When I think of my friend Robert, who died in his sleep last December, he had no will, and he was only 36. Who'd've thought? But what a nightmare that ensued afterwards with regards to his belongings etc., and well....some problems were encountered, and there was NOTHING I could do, because...well...he did not (Robert) have a will.

Me, I have a will.

I need to update it, and look at it.

My concern, mostly: (now) are my two birds. I don't want to drop dead, and have no one look after them. They are so lovely, and are no hardship to anyone, they are merely adopted homeless birdies that had no place to go. They are all I have.

But aside from that, I want to make sure, that my nephew/niece are looked after.

Friends and immediate family (my brothers) will be looked after.

Wolfy, great thread. I think it's timely.

Thank you for that.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

A will is something I still can't bring myself to do either. I don't know why either. Am I afraid? Perhaps. Am I just being lazy. Always, lazy is just another word for smart for me. (Never do something that somebody else can do.) But still, all kidding aside, this thread moved me and perhaps I need to give thought to making a will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit