What is happenning in France?

by AlanB 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlanB
    AlanB

Just wondered if anyone knows what is happenning in France. My parents told me something about the French printing presses being moved to London for some reason.

Any ideas?

• greven
    greven

Taxes. I believe they are no longer exempt from taxes hence they are moving away...

Greven

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I live in France (and even worked in the French Bethel in the 80's) but I have no first-hand information about the local WT now. Just heard they got a couple of adverse sentences in the French courts on tax issues in the last few years. I just asked the question on a French-speaking xJW board, hope I get some reply soon. I'll let you know.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Lots of French moved to London Bethel, I know that much. It is all down to taxes.

• reboot
    reboot

I heard the French government demanded millions of francs/euros in back-tax from the sale of literature (I think it was last year)that they assumed was exempt. I think it was something to do witht he WTBS saying that they were a non-profit organisation and the government arguing against that.

Perhaps thats why they moved the presses.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Does this mean that the persecution is starting in France?

LOL

Frank

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The only reference I got at this time is the extension of the printing facilities in London: http://www.jw-media.org/newsroom/index.htm?content=/region/americas/usa/english/releases/growth/usa_e030901.htm
    The relation to the WT work in France remains to be documented.

• Englishman
    Englishman

My JW Mother visited the London bethel in Mill Hill last year. She was told by the guide that London was doing all the magazine printing for France because the govt wanted/ had taken away the WT charitable status over there.

Englishman.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    govt wanted/ had taken away the WT charitable status over there

LOL, the French govt is trying to tax/fine WTBT about $50,000,000, I think in back taxes and fines. It is in the courts currently.

I say: GO FRANCE

j2bf

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I remember hearing that shortly after France levied the WTBTS for those unpaid back taxes, much of their printing equipment was moved to Spain. I wonder if this is the same equipment, once again moved to the U.K. -- and if so, are they somehow avoiding import/export duties moving this equipment from country to country?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit