Words you invented, or said the wrong way

by JH 45 Replies latest jw friends

• bebu
    bebu

Preen scrinting. How funny! Those are called "spoonerisms", after a Mr (Prof?) Spooner, who earned a reputation for exchanging letters betweeen words.

My mom produced a lot of spoonerisms. Our favorite was when she called for a "fancake plipper" while she was making breakfast.

Misprounoucing words is so easy... mispelling them is easier, though...

bebu

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

This one's brand new, coined by a workmate last week.

The doctor was extremely (but politely) angry over some sloppy work by a technician - just a real f*'d up job, particularly when she wanted to make a good impression on a doctor who sends us a lot of work.

My workmate noticed her mental state and described it as

"the height of pissed-ivity!"

GentlyFeral

• acsot
    acsot

a spoonerism: I can't say (unless I really slow down and see the words spelled out in front of me) Chicken Cacciatore. I always pronounce it: Kitchen Chackatore.

• gwyneth
    gwyneth

My sister called crepe myrtle "creep myrtle" while working in a nursery...she also can't say "metropolis"--it's "metropopolis.", plus the ever popular and already mentioned fall "foilage." I embarrassed myself at 11 years old while reading a paragraph during a young people's watchtower study--I said "omni-potent" instead of "omNIPotent", and the foreign exchange student from Venezuela politely said it correctly in his comment. My boss was from Brazil, and there was some sort of mechanical horse race during a trade show, and she said she bet on "Summer Squash!" (The horse's name was "Summer Squall"--I laughed my ass off) plus she always said, "He's trying to pass the bucket" instead of "buck", and my uncle likes to go to Dunkees (his word for Dunkin' Donuts.) And speaking of regional misunderstandings, my friends from Minnesota invited us over for supper (or dinner, can't remember which) after the meeting, and when we showed up at 5 p.m., they'd already eaten hours before! She said, "You were supposed to come at noon!" I said, "Then why didn't you say LUNCH!"

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I once heard someone refer to aluminium as aluminum

Now what do you mean by that???? The second one is correct!

Princess' kids say refrigalator..............their other grandma is perpetuating that one, and it's cute, so no one corrects them. They also say Blank-let instead of blanket. I hope theynever stop................they grow up too fast as it is.

Our youngest grandson calls Dave "papa" .............I know he will eventually say grandpa because the others call him that, but for now we are enjoying it. Besides we know lots of kids who call their grandfather that always. He used to call me "papa" too but now he's got "gramma" down pat. I know it will be grandma one day.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Until the age of about 15 I used the word "philanthropist" when I meant to say "philanderer".

It got me some strange looks when I would call someone a 'philanthropist' with derision when discussing their accomplishments or character.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit