Mother Teresa's beatification- JWs and Good works

by pravda2004 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pravda2004
    pravda2004

After hearing of Mother Theresa's beatification today, which is a recognition of her tireless lifelong devotion to ministering to the suffering of others, I was wondering why the JWs have no works of charity as a witness to Christ's love for mankind. Is JW doctrine confined to the idea that all "good" public works should be in witnessing and proselytism alone? With the amount of money the Watchtower has, why is there no public witness of charity? Why is charity generally confined to only those within the Watchtower?

How do JWs understand this? - Matt 5:16 Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in Heaven.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Hi Pravda !

Welcome to the board, its great to have you !

Good question ! I'm sure I read the answer to that soemwhere in the 'reasoning' book. They blurted out a load of answers about 'waiting for Gods Kingdom' to sort out mans problems.

I think they even go so far to say that the money would only be wasted anyway.

I'm glad you are here; and dont be put off by the slow responses.... it's sunday and this place is very slow on a sunday.

welcome again.

www.escapethewatchtower.com

• Englishman
    Englishman

I seem to remember a similar question in old WT re the philanthropist Albert Schweitzer. http://www.pcisys.net/~jnf/

The WT stated that Albert was getting his reward now via the accolades he was receiving from an adoring public, so therefore none would be available to him in Heaven.

Englishman.

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

Something to do with charity of a non-religious nature not being wrong, and could be supported as a matter for personal decision, but could take time and effort away from the bigger picture, which is God's Kingdom being the only true hope for mankind.

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

Englishman,

According to the WT Schwiezer wouldn't be going to heaven anyway, so I guess that comment is a negative double whammy.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

It would fall under the huge amount of doctrine derived from the line in Ecclesiastes about not belonging to man to even direct his step. Any short-term good will only be wiped out by man's folly, so spend your efforts (and cash) in helping convert them, which is the only long-term good you can do.

The preceding is not the opinion of the management.

• little witch
    little witch

I say do good now, and worry about heaven (or paradise) later.

What would god say to me if I am wrong? "Thou was too good to people, and you must be punished"?

Think about it.........

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I know I shouldn't hope for sense from WTS, but what the heck is the purpose of all the prosyletizing if not to "direct his step?"

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wonder if there isn't a bit of sour grapes when great people, who have done amazing things for mankind, are recognized. The FDS can whine all they like how "spiritual food" is superior, but such a concept is contrary to Jesus' teachings. Sure Jesus taught, but he also fed. He never forgot to take care of the basic needs of the people around him. Can't feed your child a Watchtower when he is hungry.

Matthew 25:41-46 NLT

"Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, `Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his demons! For I was hungry, and you didn't feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn't give me anything to drink. I was a stranger, and you didn't invite me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me no clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn't visit me.'

"Then they will reply, `Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?' And he will answer, `I assure you, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.'

I commented on a WT article on Mother Teresa here.

• simplesally
    simplesally

The process of becoming a Catholic saint is very lengthy, often taking decades or centuries to complete. To best describe the canonization process, let's look at the case mounting in favor of the canonization of Mother Teresa.

Soon after her death in 1997, Mother Teresa's followers began pressing the Vatican to waive the rule that prevents the process of canonization from beginning until five years following the candidate's death. This rule has traditionally been used to allow for a more objective look at a person's life and achievements. In 1999, the pope did waive the five-year rule, allowing the canonization process to begin. Here are the steps that must be followed:

1. A local bishop investigates the candidate's life and writings for evidence of heroic virtue. The information uncovered by the bishop is sent to the Vatican.
    2. A panel of theologians and the cardinals of the Congregation for Cause of Saints evaluate the candidate's life.
    3. If the panel approves, the pope proclaims that the candidate is venerable, which means that the person is a role model of Catholic virtues.
    4. The next step toward sainthood is beatification. Beatification allows a person to be honored by a particular group or region. In order to beatify a candidate, it must be shown that the person is responsible for a posthumous miracle. Martyrs, those who died for their religious cause, can be beatified without evidence of a miracle.
    5. In order for the candidate to be considered a saint, there must be proof of a second posthumous miracle. If there is, the person is canonized.

These alleged miracles must be submitted to the Vatican for verification. Sister Teresia Benedicta of the Cross was canonized in 1997 after the Vatican verified that a young girl who ate seven times the lethal dose of Tylenol was suddenly cured. The girl's family was said to have prayed to the spirit of Sister Teresia for help. In Mother Teresa's case, her supporters are arguing that she has performed at least two posthumous miracles. In one case, a French woman in the United States broke several ribs in a car accident -- reportedly, her wounds were healed because she was wearing a Mother Teresa medallion. Another possible miracle occurred when Mother Teresa appeared in the dreams of a Palestinian girl, telling the girl that her cancer was cured

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit