Of Posting, Children and Other Things

by Big Tex 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

In the light of day, and over a nice cup of tea, sanity returns. The problems which once seemed so big are reduced to their correct proportions, and I am left feeling more than a little embarassed over my role in the events of the past 24 hours. I didn't realize I had a drama queen buried inside waiting to be activated. Something else I need to work on.

First of all, I owe an apology to the board. I meant every word I said to Farkel, and frankly if he had been in the same room with me I would have cheerfully kicked his ass. I was defending my daughter, so I stand by my post with no regrets. However, wearing my heart on my sleeve, angry and upset and starting a "I'm Leaving" thread was not my finest hour. I made a mountain out of a mole hill and caused many people on this board to also get upset. I feel badly about that, and for this I apologize to all here. The situation would not have been nearly as big had I not magnified it.

Obviously Jennie will not be allowed to post any longer. It was my decision to allow her to post 8 months ago, and so I must accept responsibility for putting her in harm's way. I still think allowing her to post originally was a sound one, as it let her express her grief over her grandpa's suicide, but I should have cut the cord long before now. But then hindsight is always 20/20. If Simon is able to create a children only directory then perhaps Nina and I will change our minds, but Simon has enough to do running this board and I do not want to add to his work load. This board was not created with children in mind and it is not his responsibility to create a children safe zone.

Finally I would like to say thank you to everyone who called or PM'd. I am truly touched. After years of harshness from Jehovah's Witnesses, it gives me goosbumps to see so many people reaching out with a hand instead of a fist, or to hear words of encouragement instead of criticism. "Thank you" feels inadequate. Imagine a bunch of evil and wicked apostates displaying acting more Christ-like than "Jehovah's spirit-directed organization." Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?

I'd like to move forward and hopefully conduct myself in a bit more mature fashion in the future. I resolve next time to take a deep breath, go for a walk and calm down before I overreact again.

Peace,

Chris

• berylblue
    berylblue

Chris, you're the best.

• invictus
    invictus

Big Tex,

I don`t know you personally, but from what I have read it takes a big man to write something like this.you and your wife are very good and kind people. I wish you all the best.

take care.

invictus

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

BT the way I see it what you said was right on.

Taking a break was right on too. Sitting here fanning the flames would have made things worse. You said your piece and went off to deal with real life - your feelings.

To me that is a sign of maturity. Personally I think you handled the whole thing remarkably well. Mind you I wasn't there to see how you were reacting at home. Only Nina gets to see that part

And I much prefer the "I need to take a break" than "I'm gone" kind of posts.

My offer of a private board for the kids with parental permission and access is still open and I can have it up and running in a few minutes.

• Simon
    Simon

I think a totally separate, private board would be needed for the kids (and parents). I was planning on running a duplicate copy which would be totally private and invitation only so that the parents would use the same accounts (and they would all have moderator access) but if Lady Lee can / wants to set something up before then it's no problem (I'd only do it when we returned from hols anyway).

I don't think you've done anything wrong Big Tex - I know some people elsewhere have made comments to the effect that you are bad parents and it's your fault letting your child post but really you have been the model or responsible parents and carefully monitored what your little girl was going to see. They are just using this to have a dig and have no concern whatsoever with your daughters well-being.

I'm glad you're not going to leave because we would have really missed you and you are a great asset to the board.

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Hey Tex, Glad you feel better and decided to stay around. Your a stand-up guy and a good father. I always enjoy your post's. see Ya around the board Chris.

Craig (CC Ryder)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It just seems a shame to take this away from the kids who could probably use an outlet to talk to others. They could talk about some of the serious stuff but they could tell jokes, post pictures and whatever else they wanted. (even gripe about how much time their parents spend here

And I could very easily set it so all parents have mod access

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    After years of harshness from Jehovah's Witnesses, it gives me goosbumps to see so many people reaching out with a hand instead of a fist, or to hear words of encouragement instead of criticism.

This was one of my first insights after I left the Watchtower. That there were much nicer, kinder, and more emotionally stable people outside the Watchtower matrix.

• Xena
    Xena
    (even gripe about how much time their parents spend here

ROFL my daughter could totally get behind that!!!

don't think you've done anything wrong Big Tex - I know some people elsewhere have made comments to the effect that you are bad parents and it's your fault letting your child post but really you have been the model or responsible parents and carefully monitored what your little girl was going to see. They are just using this to have a dig and have no concern whatsoever with your daughters well-being.

I'm glad you're not going to leave because we would have really missed you and you are a great asset to the board.

I couldn't have said it better myself....well I might could have but it just would have been redundant
  • jst2laws
    jst2laws

BigTex,

This is the way a Sunday morning shoud be.

Steve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit